Receiver position

Hiya all. I've put this question on the CMB topic 'cos although it relates to the Webbit build it is a general electric flight query. As this is my first electric build I am in a quandary as to where to place the receiver. I understand from reading other posts that it could be critical with regards to signal reception being shielded by the battery. Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No: 20

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/04/2011 14:20:22:
Geoff if you are on 2.4 it doesn't really matter much.
BEB

I wouldn't put it up against the battery or a servo or similar, still better for it to be in a position with a "clear view" all round as much as possible.

I have seen some receivers (2.4) where the antenna just sticks out of the receiver for an inch, if it is one of them, try and get it as high as possible above the other electrics.

If it has a decent length of cable, try to get it as far back as possible, where there are less obstructions

Hiya all. Typical me, half the story again. I'm on 2.4 and the receiver has a short single aerial lead. I'll put it back then as long as the servo leads can reach. The light weight of the receiver will not upset the CG much. Ha! Ha! Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Geoff,
I always try to get my receiver back beyond everything else, the reason being in the event of a crash the inertia of most things with a mass will go forwards. If the receiver was in front of any of these items they aren't going to stop for a receiver and they are not cheap!
It is always advisable to wrap them in foam to protect them vibration as well.

Rich

Many thanks for this gentlemen. Just one more newby question. With the receiver in the rearward position the only problem I will have is with the ESC connection to the receiver. My question is will a standard servo extension lead do or will I need a special one beings as it's connected to the ESC? Cheers

Geoff