Danny's webcam video

Wiltshire Flyer

WOW! have to admit, i clicked on the vid with no intention of watching the whole thing.... but i was mesmerised at the accuracy and speed of the build, great job Danny!!

Can i just ask at the risk of sounding a little dense (but i have been out of the hobby for ten years) what glue were you using in the red and green bottles? seem ed very quick setting and you used alot of the green one? some tips on the glue you used would be great

Advert

Sorry guys only just spotted this thread...... I think David set it up.

Thanks BEB for fielding the questions, and sorry Dorset flyer I don't normally ignore people, honest

I find the pink zap (thin) CA is fine for all soft/medium balsa stuff, but if you need a little more time to position then thick zap. Any more time than that then I use Titebond aliphatic. Some hard balsa and ply's its either Titebond or epoxy. the slower setting for the tougher bonds.

I try to avoid kicker as this seems to stop the CA soaking into the joint and freezes it on the surface, but it is good in low strength areas to hold things. Especially where lite and birch ply are being used. You can mix coloidal silica with your epoxy to make it stiffer so that it doesn't run away from the joint. Mixing microbaloons with epoxy will create a fairly easily sanded lightweight filler.

Everybody tells me aliphatic is easy to sand, I must say I find thin zap easier. maybe it depends on the make of the glue?

Hope that helps?

Once again sorry for the tardy reply

Cheers
Danny

I do know exactly what you mean. I was away from modelling for many years and when I came back the array of adhesives and materials is incredible. Fortunately nowadays we have the Internet and modelling websites/forums to help us, either to ask questions or just watch and see how the others do things.

Cheers
Danny