The Typhoon plan

Advert

Walts, Yes similar problem with the Typhoon .....Hurricane wing again!. Certainly if you recess the retract unit further into the wing (loads of room) the strut covers will sit further in the wheel well...the rake angle and geomtry is fine and the leg covers are parallel with each other when extended and parallel with the under wing surface when retracted.....just make sure you have enough throw on the servo so they 'lock-up' other wise they will hang.

Tony

Received the plans today,great, this will be my build for winter.

My compliments go out to Tony for such a plan and to all the staff at RCM&E for correcting an error in publication, I carn't think of the last time that anyone in this day of age offered an updated item free of charge and free postage thrown in as well, well done everyone.

Cheers Tony,

I think I'll do as you suggest and build the centre section first so i can get the gear set up correctly. Incidentally, i never did get the Hurri retracts quite right. I was starting with a blank foam core wing and obviously didn't get the units set in the ideal position. I've ended up with the covers toe'd inwards toward the front of the wheels so that they lay flat on the wing when retracted, but with the wheels sitting in the wells at an angle. When the wheels are extended they track straight but the covers are pointing inwards if you see what i mean.

Walts 

A very nice well drawn set of plans no doubt that will be a benchmark for other Typhoon plans in the future, the sheer size of it is awesome really.

Compared to the Spitfire the Typhoon was a big powerful and bulky aircraft and it is very noticable at 63'' span, it was a solid and stable flying weapons platform and it really shows in her lines and build.

Also my thanks to RCM&E for correcting what was basically a mistake in production that must have cost the magazine a fair few thousand pounds to correct, paper of that quality isnt cheap and to reproduce the whole of the production run also very expensive with no financial comback.

How many other magazines would have admitted the mistake and reproduced the plan free of charge I wonder, none that I can think of as none of them meet RCM&E for value or even come close, I was thinking on cancelling my subscription to RCM&E because of the lack of free scale warbird plans but to be honest none of the others has anything worth offering to better this magazine.

The articles alone on brushless motors and LIpo batteries are worth having to someone like me still back in the days of lead-acid and clunky motors, as far as subscriptions go I think I will be staying where I am for the foreseeable future,

regards,        Terry

I may have mentioned this before but what would be nice with plans is for a small list of suggestions for motor sizes for diesel/glow/ electric brushless and brushed and prop size as many of us fossilised examples of the fraternity have problems choosing the right power source and sometimes end up using the wrong one,

regards,          Terry

When I discoverd there was a problem with the Typhoon plans I thought they may have designed in a feature so that the tail kept falling off just like the full size!!! I thought that was taking a scale design a bit too far so I was relieved to find it was only the drawing that was wrong!!!! 

Sent an email requesting the new plan on Monday......revised plans arrived this weekend........top drawer!!

We all make mistakes...it is how you put them right that matters so a job well done by RCM&E I'd say!!!!!!

Keep up the good work Messers Ashby & Magicalia......

We all make mistakes...it is how you put them right that matters so a job well done by RCM&E I'd say!!!!!!

Too true, so easy in the rush of things trying to get something into print to hit the wrong button particularly in these days of computer generated images, done it so many times myself I have lost count but I can put it right at no cost usually, this one must have cost a packet to correct - did anyone get their legs slapped for it.....;-)

regards,              Terry

Anyone contemplating building their own cowel could learn a lot from studying how model ships hulls are built which are basically a series of compound curves and in particular what we called 'bread and butter' construction, for complicated shapes like the Typhoon cowel it would be a perfect method,

regards,             Terry

I would just like to add a bit here about the plan.

As soon as it was known to RCM&E that there was a problem with the plan they have put it right and this will cost one hell of a lot to the company.

Just in the man hours to put it right

I would just like to say WELL DONE RCM&E

I considered sending for the "correct" plan+ when I got my November magazine.

However, although I like this plane - built a small c/l version powered by a Frog  80 many years ago, it is unlikely that I'll get round to building it as there are already too many plans on the round to it pile already.

Should I change my mind, I will use the plan which came with the "Special" - the smaller size suits me and I would think that it will be OK with one of the engines I already have rather than have to shell out for a new power plant.

I must add my  congratulationsand appreciation for the effort which has gone into correcting the "mistake" even though I won't be taking advantage of the offered replacement.