Capiche 50 kit by Malcolm Corbin - Steves build blog

Hi all

I started this hobby 8 months ago following a visit to the Southern model airshow. I now have a purpose built workshop that i created to get the models out of the house. I have built from one plan thus far (the WEBBIT). I chose not to do a build blog as there were many more capable builders than me doing the blog so I used their excellent work as a reference for my own build.

I bought this kit from a guy who has owned it for 10 years. it is the Capiche 50 by Malcolm Corbin and was bought at the Sandown show (where it was debuted I believe)

There was a build article in RCME some years ago. I do not believe you can still buy the kits any more. They were sold through Island hobbies and I have been unsuccessful in contacting the company although I believe they are still trading.

I have the cnc pack as well as the extra wood and plans. I would really like to get hold of the decal set if anyone has one or can give island hobbies a nudge to get them to answer my e mails.

Anyhow here is the start of the build. I am constructing the wing first and this starts with glueing the wing brace together. The instructions state the wing is built upside down on the plan and the brace is only flat on one side so I have placed the flat on the plan.

Next the half ribs are glued in to the wing brace which lock in nicely (hopefully a sign of things to come as the cnc cutting seems very good)

the next stage is to glue the top spar to the brace. I am going to ase aliphatic glue but have elected for epoxy (5 min ) to speed up the build. Once dry the spar will be pinned to the plan to allow the glueing of the remaining ribs.

What it should look like

Ready to start glueing

Top spar glued on with 5 min apoxy

Edited By Steven Butler on 02/05/2011 21:20:35

Edited By Steven Butler on 02/05/2011 21:22:59

Advert

Hi Steve, I always wanted one of these, so will be watching with interest.

It's difficult to know what to suggest until you show us stuff. If you are stuck with something though please ask, I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Are you following some build instructions?
I was a little confused by the order of the photos, but I think I have it now

I would have the items pinned to the board as I build, it is imperative that the wing doesn't gain an unwanted twist.

EDIT< just re read your posts and all this seems in hand - sorry. 

Edited By Chris Bott on 02/05/2011 21:33:21

I am impressed so far. I have just got in from the workshop so please have a look at the photos for my progress.

Wing ribs going on (glued with aliphatic)
Photo showing a jig at the wing tip holding the wing at the correct height
cutting sub leading/trailing edge from 1/8 balsa

Hi guys,

The capiche is a superb bit of CNC cutting. It would be almost impossible to cut out all the bits with scalpel etc. I think the strength comes from the interlocking parts. But, I would never try to build one without the precut parts.

ernie

• 3 weeks later...
very nice model this one but what if ...would be built with traditional balsa and ply instead of interlocking parts and light-ply only? i have the same kit that i bought from slec a few years ago, still not finished.

i had really bad issues with the plan exspecially with the wing plan! make sure that from root to tip the wing left and right are both equall the tail as well.

one day i might try to build the model with conventional construction, balsa and ply. i'm convinced that it will come more or less the same weight.

regards
Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
Andy,

Thanks, I have sent you a message as I have been unable to solicit a response from island hobbies.

I am really sorry that I have had no further build pics, the wing has not progressed due to domestic chores and a rather nasty chest infection which is now heading into the 2nd week of misery.

I have been signed off work for another week so may try and get to the workshop and progress things a little.

Steve

Posted by Steven Butler on 01/06/2011 08:12:53:
Andy,

Thanks, I have sent you a message as I have been unable to solicit a response from island hobbies.

I am really sorry that I have had no further build pics, the wing has not progressed due to domestic chores and a rather nasty chest infection which is now heading into the 2nd week of misery.

I have been signed off work for another week so may try and get to the workshop and progress things a little.

Steve

Sorry to hear about the chest infection, I have just got over one, took a month and two courses of different antibiotics, was booked off for 3 weeks. My temp was going between just under 36 to just under 40 for two weeks, can honestly say I have never felt worse. Haven't been able to fly for a month now.

Still have a cough, but otherwise nearly back to normal.

Hope you get over yours soon.

Well I have done a little more to the build over the last few days. The pic above shows the start of the left aeleron.

Whilst the aelerons are being built I have started to sheet the underside of the wing. There is ply servo plates sheeted in after R2

The picture above shows the left aeleron complete and shown against the wing

The start of the right aeleron curing

And finally the X section through the 1st Aeleron showing the leading edge that gives the deflection required.
I will be doing some more work over the next few days so hopefully there should be some more updates for you.

Steve

• 1 year later...