Digital Issues Subscription

GONZO

• 1 month later...
Advert

Beb,

I don't think you've taken into account the new subscription forms and the very increased pricing. As an Australian subscriber I have an issue with the new scheme of things. I,ve subscribed for some years now and one thing that plagues RCM&E's print subscription is the fact that it often arrives down under much later than subscribers in the UK receive it and almost always well after it is available in the UK shops. People have complained about this from time to time, but the situation reappears.

Under the present subscription this hardly matters because we antipodeans can just log in and read on-line until our hard copy arrives, but now this is no more. Well not quite, we can pay an extra £9 above the print subscription and get what we have now. That doesn't seem fair to me. When I renew I'll be paying over 32% more than I payed last year for exactly the same service, a very steep increase in these straightened times.

Further to that, the adverts for the new subscriptions are downright misleading, in that they state you can download the digital magazine and we all know this to be untrue, it is read only. So what are we loyal print subscribers being slugged for? Do management have any justification, or are they just grabbing more money and hoping the subscribers stay regardless?

I would certainly vote for a downloadable digital copy, if ever I needed a plan I could always buy the printed mag. I am very dissapointed that in the near future even the digital archive will not be available unless you opt for a print and digital subscription. I currently have a print only subscription and cannot afford to pay extra for the digital downloadable copy. Thats my 2 pence worth??

Well I gave up all forms of subscription last year after being a loyal purchaser since issue No.1 in 1960 (all stored, along with many other mags and books). There are just so many times you can be told the same thing over and over (engine mounting, servo mounting etc etc) just to make up the page count. If I want to find out about the latest 'thing' then I scan the many forums, take what is said with a pinch of salt and use my own judgment.

Posted by Mike Rolls on 04/03/2012 08:20:14:

Do I understand this correctly? You pay £20 for digital subscription and can only read on line, not download for future brwosing? If so, that is just plain ridiculous.

Mike

That is correct and I agree with you. It is the reason that I will not be renewing my subscription when it expires next month.

Excerpt from David's August Newsletter received 29/7/2013, bold lettering inserted by me.

" Dear Paul,
This month's subscription gift comes in the form of a balsa stripper and tool set and we've just launched some exciting new subscriber packages some featuring downloadable digital editions.
With all good wishes,
David Ashby
RCM&E "
Could someone from management please clarify what is being talked about here. Are the digital editions suddenly downloadable, or do they remain as ever, read only on-line?

• 3 months later...

I too was very disappointed to realise that I could no longer access my digital issues, even though I hadn't read many of them as I've had a very busy year. I could understand not being able to access the whole DI archive, but surely the ones that I'd paid for...................................?

No more RCM&E for me(reader since mid 1960's)

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a question about the new downloadable digital subscription (not the online viewable only archive).

When viewing an issue on a Windows PC, can you print out pages ?

Actually I have two questions ! Do the downloadable issues have the plan included yet ?

Thanks

B33

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks David.

The thread you linked is for the online only archive (that can only be read when connected online) and I was meaning the new digital subscription where you download the issue to your own PC so you can read it at anytime, regardless of being connected to the internet or not.

As the access to the online only archive is being removed soon (May I think ??) I'm keen to find out if the new downloadable PC App can print pages as my subscription will be due soonish.

Thanks again

B33

Hi David and all

I have an ongoing issue. Like many others I am located on the othe side of the world, New Zealand, and went to the digital issues so they were timely.

If I wanted a plan then I order it online - no problems there. However I can not get the digital issues to download to my PC. They will go to my ipad but that is not where I want or need them.

Some help on these problems would be appreciated.

Des from the land of the Kiwi

Posted by Biggles33 on 22/01/2014 19:44:27:

Thanks David.

The thread you linked is for the online only archive (that can only be read when connected online) and I was meaning the new digital subscription where you download the issue to your own PC so you can read it at anytime, regardless of being connected to the internet or not.

As the access to the online only archive is being removed soon (May I think ??) I'm keen to find out if the new downloadable PC App can print pages as my subscription will be due soonish.

Thanks again

B33

Access to the online archive isn't being removed but it won't be available to 'print-only' subscribers from July.

That particular aspect of the downloadable issue is something I haven't tested although I'd be very surprised if you can't print pages. I'll ask.

Des - the problems you're having could be for a number of reasons, it might be best emailling the help desk perhaps? [email protected]

Hi David

This download of digital subscription is a joke.

Have subscribed for a number of years and commented at an early stage re being able to download - post is early in this thread. When the download version came along I was told it was for IPad via apple accoiunt. As I had both followed the instructions and have been getting it on the IPad.

My problem is I wish to have it on my PC.

Have followed all instructions from Pocketmag but it will not come up as my being subscribed. They also do not answer my emails.

I have just received an email to renew my sub but can not see the use if this problem and the request from subscribers means nothing. Quite simply as a purchaser of RCM&E from its inception, in printed form and over the past 3 years in digital I feel very let down.

I went digital as I am in New Zealand and issues run 3 to 4 months late out here.

Trusting you will assist

Des Richards

I cannot believe some of the ungrateful posts in this thread, it's made my blood boil. It's a good mag, arguably the best UK mag for our hobby. If you want hardcopies to keep, buy the mag. If you want the plans, buy the mag. The digital subscription serves a purpose, letting people read it for less, maybe even getting to people on oil rigs or on hols who can't get a mag from a shop. It's cheaper for a reason and makes it clear what you get / don't get for your money.

I'm 'only' a digital subscriber as it suits me perfectly. Why are some people so quick to bash the management about this when in fact we should be happy that a digital version is available. None of the other mags I read have this option so I consider them backward looking.

Why do some people feel entitled to the same stuff for free / for lesss than a full subscriber? Do you think it's cheap to produce a mag of this quality every month?

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys, I am an ex subscriber to the digital version. (expiry September this year).

I was quite dismayed to find that I can no longer access the issues which I subscribed for. Did I do something wrong, Should I have saved them somewhere, somehow?

In good faith, I have emailed the subscriber help service around three weeks ago, but have not yet had a response.

I did enjoy the the Emag, but being a pensioner, I find that I need to make some cutbacks, and the Emag was one of them.

Is there a way that I can access or retrieve my own subscription copies.

The way I see it at the moment, I seem to have hired the digital versions for the year, and then they have been withdrawn, or have I got this wrong?

Go With the Flow

Bruce

I hope its okay to add to this thread. I have recently taken up the offer of £1.00 for the first three months,mag and digital.

I have received the first mag,and i can access the digital copies on my phone and tablet. I cannot however,view the archive on my laptop. I have downloaded pocket mags to my laptop but it only lets me access the current issue.

I did send an email to the publishers but have not received a reply. Also,tried to phone them today but was on hold for 15 minutes,so gave up.

Im not really moaning about it as i think its a great deal,but would like to read the archive on my laptop if at all possible.

Hi Flyeruk.

Are you trying to access the digital archive via the Pocketmags app or this website?

To get to the DA, you need to select Magazines on the top menu. RCM&E will be on the list. Clicking on this should bring up all back issues currently on line (starting from the 2006 Special).

If RCM&E magazine isn't listed under Magazines then your digital subscription hasn't been activated on this site.

If that's the case, you WILL need to wait for a response from RCM&E customer services. I suggest going that way rather than through subscription services as you'll have more chance of success.

Good luck!

Hi Nigel

I am trying to access the DA via Pocketmags and this website.

With Pocketmags,when i click RCM&E, i get the latest issue but not th DA.

When i try on this site,it tells me i am not subscribed to the digital subscription.

I will try and contact RCM&E customer services and see what happens.