Flaps with 6EX

EGB 953

I am thinking about how to programme my Multiplex fun cub (when the missing parts finally arrive) for the flaps with my 6EX as follows:

Channel 6 servo for flap 1

Master mixed with channel 5 as slave for servo for flap 2

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on two questions which have come to mind:

1. does the flap trim function for channel 6 (reducing the throw %) affect the slave channel as well?

2. if I need to mix in some down elevator to compensate for the attitude with flaps down, can I mix the same master channel (6) to the elevator channel?

Any similar experience or thoughts would be welcome. BTW am using y lead for the aileron servos.

cheers

Edward

Advert

Edward, as Eric says why not use a Y lead?

From what you say it seems we are talking about proper flaps each with their own servo. In that case all you have to do is think about the servo output arms.

If you were doing the same thing with ailerons then one would go up and one would go down, all you need to do is connect one of the servos up so that it uses the other side of the servo you might have to re-align the horn as well though.

If you are using the old 6ex witha rotating flap knob then you are quids in because you can set the flaps to exactly what you require at the time. If you have one of the newer ones with a switch then set the range of movement very low and test the result. If you set them up like barn doors then you will be in for a bit of surprise when you flick the switch.

Remember these are flaps, not air brakes so don't go overboard with them. It's surprising how little you need to make landings sweeter. Even though you may not visibley see the effect of the drag or the aircraft suddenly slowing down, it is there. Flaps modify the shape of the wing and will always have an effect.

Elevator mixing, well! Another good reason for only having a little bit of flap and testing for the result. Different aircraft pitch in different ways when the flaps are applied, it might pitch up or down, maybe a little or maybe a lot. Find out little by little. You may even find that the change in pitch is so slight that you can deal with it "on the sticks" anyway. If you do need a mix then (off the top of my head) I'm quite sure that there is already a flap to elevator mix setup. You can do it manually using one of the programmable mixes instead if you want.

I hope I haven't sounded too "know all" (I don't) and that this is some help to you.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 08/05/2011 01:24:50

I would use a Y lead or better still Turnigy make a 3 way splitter that enables you to split the single output from the RX, it also let's you reverse the one channel as one servo will need to be reversed, it also had the daddy of all functions with an adjustable servo slower built in so you can deploy flaps slowly to stop any ballooning.

A bloomin bargain for under a tenner!

Oh and although some say you dont need to run much flap, you'll be surprised as to how much flap you can run and how much it really can slow the approach, but as said above, try it little by little and see how it feels.

Hi,

Sorry for delay in thanking everyone for suggestions - been a long week and it is only wednesday ...

I like the Turnigy 3 way splitter, as I need to reverse the one flap servo and my 6XE has an on off switch for the flap channel ....

Kinda fun to master programming the Tx.

• 2 weeks later...

May I elbow in here......I'm thinking of making my way into 2.4 and buying a Futaba 6 EX.. I know it doesn't have a hatful of memories or clever bits, but for ordinary use is it a worthwhile buy? The price difference between a 6 and a 7 will keep me in hot toddies for a couple of years at least.. Ta

Hi Edward,
over on my thread "four servo wing on DX 7" ( sorry I dont know how to do links )
i have exactly the same problem with my Fun cub,
even tho it,s a different radio there might be some useful info there to help with your problem,
Noel

Edited By Noel Eaton on 26/05/2011 18:50:39

• 3 months later...
Long overdue update:

I did as I described and used channels 5 and six to programme the flaps on my funcub. Much trickier than I had expected as it is frustratingly difficult to get right (both flaps dropping the same/right amount) and to adjust. The flap trim function doesn't seem to impact the slave servo as you would expect. However after much trial and error I got it right. Without servo slow the flaps do snap down so lowering them requires having some height. The fun cub doesn't really need them, it floats along as it is, but it is fun to really slow her down into the wind.

I am contemplating swapping to the three way splitter to simplify things ...

Edward

On my Viper Jet using my DX6i I use the the turnigy servo slow on the flaps, I have the retracts mixed to flap to give the take off flap setting and flap switch bring down the flaps down to landing setting. So I have effectively three flap settings off two switches

Retract - retracts down and flaps to take off position
Flap - flaps partially deployed (Slow flyby and initial phase of landing circuit)
Flap and retract - retracts deployed and flaps to full landing position.

Note I also have a bit of elevator compensation on the flaps switch as well, but the turnigy servo slow is great as its easier to catch any trim change as the flaps move slowly.

Not as neat as doing flaps on my Cockpit Sx on 35 mhz, but no long trailing aerial on an EDF.