RC Gliders

ColinHarris

Advert

Well, i will give you another option, the SAS wildthing, easy to fly EPP glider, cover it in coloured parcel tape from staples, tough as old boots, easy to fly, and great for a beginner, as for is slope easier, well, yes and no, when a tyro flyer cannot crack it on power, i used to send them to the slope, where its constant stick stirring, sloping is GREAT, but some slopes are hard to get too, some arnt, where do you abide? here, in Oldham, we are blessed with many slopes, but for some, you have to be fit and able to get around, sloping is free, the wind is your engine, your gentle lady will be fine in 5-15 MPH winds, but anymore, and you will need to fit ballast, the wild thing will fly in minimal wind, right up to galeforce.

Posted by ColinHarris on 13/05/2011 18:25:32:
How do I delete posts? It worked earlier(??)

Collin.
You can edit posts but need a Mod to do some delete job as when the edit icon disappears after 30 min from posting, have you read Tims instructions under the heading POSTING PICTURES ?

Yes can see the vid in the second box

/

Edited By tom wright 2 on 13/05/2011 19:05:40

Edited By tom wright 2 on 13/05/2011 19:06:46

Posted by Alan C on 13/05/2011 20:22:30:
Found the wild thing link

click on the wildthing info, on the left, its, for me, the number one training glider,

Edited By Alan C on 13/05/2011 20:23:42

I see what you are getting at with the Wildthing Alan, for someone looking to get aloft with minimum effort etc it looks good, but... a sailplane with a good span on it with nice dihedral will be very stable and forgiving for someone first starting out.

Plus, if you buy a kit that is easy to assemble for a beginner then that person starts to learn about airframes and construction and thus also goes on to learn about aerodynamics and why the airframe is built in particular ways for different performance.

I know i keep banging on about the Gentle Lady, but that was the first model that i had built, and the consruction was very straight forward but at the same time asked me to stop and have a think now and then too.

I built it and felt a tremendous sense of achievement!

Not only was i going to try to fly this bird, but I had built it too! it felt really good, and when the time comes for a bit of repair it is made much easier as you built it so you know what needs to be done.

But anyway, i ramble it's each to their own, and as siad Colin, best of luck with whatever you decide on!

Oh and P.S Colin, learning to cover your plane is another artform in itself, you can use Solarfilm or Oracover which are iron on film like coverings, but there are more traditional ways such as dope and tissue paper etc, a good Google search should enliten you a little more.

sticks and tissue, or foam and coloured tape, 1st is highly fragile, 2nd is almost indestructable, with the 1st, you will have to progress through the ranks to get to the first decent aerobatic machine, if this is the want, with the 2nd, its just a matter of upping the movements, it can be flown calm, or like a nutter, the 2nd has versatility, the 1st has not, its up to the OP, construction of models has evolved, i would like newcomers to evolve as well, the foam model still needs carefull assembly, its just differant, thats all,

Alan .
I dont know what Collin thinks about your propsals ,but to me they do seem to come across as a bit dictatorial and opinionated,steady up, the OP is a raw beginer.

Every one is of course entitled to their opinion but not every one would agree a flying wing was nessasarly the ideal first model, particulaly as the OP seemed to like the idia of the GL .

By the way i often fly a GL its now 6 years old and flown at least weekly by a guy that uses it as a camara ship he has posted many videos on you tube .The reason it was sugested is because it is versitile robust and well respected model,
that has a presence in the air.

Sorry to be joining this thread late but I'd like to add my two pen'oth.
I had the Easglider pro which flew very well but due to my mode of transport (my motor bike) the foam suffered a little with dinks but with care on transit it is a fine model which flies and handles well on & off power and will utalise even a little lift over trees and low walls! 40 minute flights were the norm just using the motor for a little hight gain now and again. This model was my introduction into the mysteries of ailerons.
I now have a Cherub (similar to the gentle lady) As you can see it's gentle yet fun.
The SAS Wild thing is my all time favourite model for the slope. it's sooooooooo robust and flies really well and is very popular with the gang I fly with on the Great Orme. If you have a slope, get a Wildthing!

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 14/05/2011 10:24:16

LOL - calm down, or I'll send the scouser round
As many will know, I always recommend the wildthing as a great sloper tool - its not scale, its not pretty, and its just a lump of foam, but boy it does what it says on the tin.
Fun factor is 100% and IMO its still a great model for general slope fun and in many ways an ideal first slope model.
I mean how can you not find this little clip great fun.

sorry guys, still suffering from jet lag, look at the time i posted the offending dictorial thread, but i still mantain the wild thing is the best learner sloper, its like a wot 4, learn on it with a small engine, reduced throws, then fit bigger and BIGGER engines, crank the throws up, and its an all in 1 learning machine, just like the wildthing, all i am trying to do is show a differant way of doing things, wassup with that? as for the dictorial opinionated bit, i see many posts trying to shove the gentle lady his way, for you guys, this is the best way forward, thats is your opinionated opinion, to not allow other opinions is dictorial, innit????

Posted by Alan C on 14/05/2011 12:47:55:
sorry guys, still suffering from jet lag, look at the time i posted the offending dictorial thread, but i still mantain the wild thing is the best learner sloper, its like a wot 4, learn on it with a small engine, reduced throws, then fit bigger and BIGGER engines, crank the throws up, and its an all in 1 learning machine, just like the wildthing, all i am trying to do is show a differant way of doing things, wassup with that? as for the dictorial opinionated bit, i see many posts trying to shove the gentle lady his way, for you guys, this is the best way forward, thats is your opinionated opinion, to not allow other opinions is dictorial, innit????

Well i have put forward my opinion, not gonna turn poor ol colin's thread into a shooting match! lol

Take on board what everyone has suggested Colin and when you start to build whatever you decide on, stick up a blog and let us know how it's going

Hi Lee.

Thought your post was absolutely fine , it was me that made the comments about Allan's rather insistent remarks , But he had just come back from the USA ,and certainly would have been ,as he said jet lagged,so i hope we all remain good friends.

I know you are under a lot of stress at the moment ,and the the forum i hope is a good distraction so don't be put off if things heat up a bit ,is all in good faith and if it gets to hot Timbo and his mates will soon be along to sort things out .

Allan.
See you over on the DX thread.

Collin .

At least we have all given you some good options .

Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 14/05/2011 18:21:10

Posted by tom wright 2 on 14/05/2011 18:20:31:
Hi Lee.

Thought your post was absolutely fine , it was me that made the comments about Allan's rather insistent remarks , But he had just come back from the USA ,and certainly would have been ,as he said jet lagged,so i hope we all remain good friends.

I know you are under a lot of stress at the moment ,and the the forum i hope is a good distraction so don't be put off if things heat up a bit ,is all in good faith and if it gets to hot Timbo and his mates will soon be along to sort things out .

Allan.
See you over on the DX thread.

Collin .

At least we have all given you some good options .

Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 14/05/2011 18:21:10

Thanks Tom, We can't all agree all of the time, besides that's what makes a forum!

But i don't ever intend to fall out with anyone! i look upon it as a bit of friendly banter.

And yes Tom you are correct, the stress is mounting and the forum is a good break from it, it's a great forum with a fantastic bunch of peeps!