Black Horse Stuka

Good Afternoon,

I have just purchased the Black Horse Stuka with a view to making this a bit of a long term project (I have to save up for the engine, rx, etc), but whilst that's happening; how can I tone down the somewhat shiny surface? I like scale kits where possible and WWII military kits should be drab or matt colours.

Anyone any ideas on how I can achieve this without some sort of major re spray.

Your thoughts please.

Advert

Interesting stuff that, thanks Alan. I have since taken the kit out for a good look and was disappointed to find some damage. Nothing that can't be fixed, but slightly irksome. The box itself was undamaged indicating it all happened on packing or before.
Other than that, I am impressed with the quality.
If I read the blog right, it appears one had a CRRC 26cc engine in. This model calls for a 1.20 four stroke, but I may look into the CRRC route.
Regards.

Oh forgot to mention. According to the box it's a mixture of balsa and fly wood. Does that improve aerodynamic performance????

Edited By Spice Cat on 23/05/2011 22:03:42

clean with panel wipe and spray with flair spectrum matt or satin is another way, i have just been told, i am on the phone with Ian Redshaw, YT designer and all round model genius, with the method i mention, he says get the abrasive as fine as possible, cos scratches always show through, he prefers the method with the panel wipe, but it MUST be sprayed

Good luck Spice Cat, I'm watching with interest as I've bought a B/H Stuka too.
It also has damage, only slight but annoying. It is the very vulnerable bit at the back end of the fus which is unsupported. As it your case there is no packaging damage, and it was well protected inside another box by supplier TJD.
It's a super model, I'm looking forward to the build, but the twins in the cockpit will have to go!!!

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/05/2011 15:56:02:
You could try Prymol - its an etchant made by Solarfilm. But obviously you need to experiment on some spare covering. What is the covering on the BH Stuka - is it Oracover or Pro-film, or their own - I don't know? But you would need to get hold of some and experiment with the Prymol on it.

BEB

BeB not a clue as to how you would use prymol for this application, is there something i dont know? Prymol is primarliy used for better adhesion between two films ?? does it have another aspect

Hi Alan,

its an etching agent. The way it improves the adhedsion is by slightly etching the surface - removing the gloss. It just like rubbing a bit metal to give it a "key" before you glue it.

I haven't tried this - which is why I hedged it about with cautions to "test it out" before doing it - but if it worked it would be quick, less hard work and might leave a more even finish. At the very minimum it would provide a good surface for a matt varnish to adhere to better.

BEB

Oh I agree completely - hence I advised experimentation before trying "for real" - but as I say if it works, and I don't see why it shouldn't, its likely to matt the surface without imparting a "direction" to the scratches if you see what I mean.

Its not my idea TBH, I've come across it somewhere else - forum, article or something - but I can't remember where now

BEB