The joy of slope

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 23/08/2011 11:41:01:

As you well know Mr E, I was indeed enjoying the fine company and superb flying conditions of the Lleyn PSSA meet.
Incidentally, I find there is no correlation at all between the number of channels on a model and the size of the grin.
Different weekend this one Timbo. Graham was up the Orme just this last saturday. He had a play with Daniels Sanda Models Mach 2 (review soon).

Did you get yourself a nice PSS model yet mate? It doesn't really do it for me. A bit slow for my tastes.

Playing out at Barkston this weekend?

Andy

Advert

Ah, I see, I thought it was the weekend before, when ya sent the SMS
Looks rather nice that Mach 2.

Just doing a LEG spitfire 60", ( Jack doesnt know he sent it to me LOL ) and of course have the old Hawk, and a Saab Grippen.
Winter project is Simon Cocker's B52 ( the smaller one 102" span ).
He sorted me the plan out a few months back, and it takes me that long just to unroll it - I am of course well known to be the worlds slowest builder

No Barkston for me this year.... flying instead
Enjoy

Cracking afternoon and late evening flying at Hunts Bay with Mark and Chris today. After torrential rain all morning the weather improved and we had blue skies, fluffy clouds, a warm(ish) south westerly wind and a variety of models = The Joy of Slope

I was having so much fun the low battery warning alarm activated on my Cockpit SX.

Here is a Photosynth I made of the site:

Jon

That photosynth looks really cool

Posted by Ian Jones on 24/08/2011 23:46:04:
Jon did you use MIcrosoft ICE to create the panarama?

Yes the whole thing is done using Ice and then uploaded to Photosynth, Ice gives you the option to save the panorama created as a big jpeg, I have shrunk this one posted on here.

Jon

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 24/08/2011 23:50:06:
It almost looks like a painting!

HDR photography Steve.

Here is another panorama - Guess where???

hopefully blue skies when you get there, and here is the Photosynth from that image:

Edited By Conwy Soarer on 24/08/2011 23:55:00

Posted by Conwy Soarer on 24/08/2011 23:51:20:
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 24/08/2011 23:50:06:
It almost looks like a painting!

HDR photography Steve.

Here is another panorama - Guess where???

hopefully blue skies when you get there, and here is the Photosynth from that image:

Edited By Conwy Soarer on 24/08/2011 23:55:00

Wow, that's familiar.

I'll have to get into HDR, in the mean time using some old (not too good) images I thought I'd have a go (Chateau Doex ). I like it . I can see me doing something more useful with it in the future.

Back to sloping - just replaced the clevises on my Fusion because one of them kept popping open. Also I stuck the nose in some very hot water and that's uncompressed it quite a lot and so I'm pretty much ready for the weekend.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 25/08/2011 07:53:22:
Sticking the nose in very hot water eh! May have to try that.

Did you not put fuel tubing or heat shrink tubing over the clevises Ian? Can't say I've had a problem with mine and I always put one or the other over my clevises to stop them from opening.

I didn't know if it would work but I've done it before with foam so I thought I'd give it a try. It's not perfect but it's lots better than it was. I removed the battery etc first as a precaution but it in the event it stayed dry inside.

I never fly without keepers on the clevises even if they are sullivan clevises with locking tabs. There's a crease in the elevon on the same side and I think that indicates a hard landing which banged that elevon with sufficient a jolt to break off the little nipple on the tip of the clevis pin. Come to think of it probably becuase the keeper wouldn't let it open, so the weekest point gave way. I got by for the rest of the day thanks to the fuel tubing keeper but if there had been any doubt about it holding I would have had to enjoy the scenery.

Posted by Tim Mackey on 25/08/2011 09:49:11:
Sundays forecast has now improved a lot, with very little if any rain showing on XC weather.
Here's hoping they are correct.

Oh yes now that is a change for the better , hope my new wrap around tinted sunglasses arrive in time.

Edited By Ian Jones on 25/08/2011 11:48:02

Google Earth is a wonderful thing! I used the travel instructions Jon gave to Ian on how to get to the car park on the Orme then looked up the Lighthouse B&B and Rest & Be Thankful cafe on Google, then using Google Earth followed the road to the concrete road and up to the car park. So now I know where I'm going, from Llandudno pier anyway.

Lets hope that forecast is right eh.

Thanks for the PM Ian

Well the camping gear and the models are loaded in the car. Just have to load my bag and food in the morning and I'm on my way to sunnyN Wales and the Great Orme for a weekends flying.

Posted by Devon Flyer on 26/08/2011 15:36:30:
Like that panorama CS.
I've had a look at ICE and Photosynth and had a mess about with them.
First attempt was last night after I got back from Codden Hill. HERE
Interesting stuff to tinker with.

Well I was up at Mow Cop (Cheshire/Stafordshire border) and I couldn't stop my mind wondering towards the prospect of flying from there. The castle site itself is too popular with visitors I'm sure but there could be some opportunities nearby perhaps - anybody know anything?

Oh and I couldn't help doing this.

The LZ doesn't look too good either but I think the ridge continues for some distance behind the castle and there maybe a more suitable site there. There doesn't seem to be much around the slope to cause to much turbulence so it might be worth another visit to check it out.

Steve Houghton 1 made it up to Llandudno today, and is safely encamped about 15 minutes away from the big Rock.
We met up this afternoon and enjoyed some fine weather with fairly gentle 12 MPH NWesterlies.
We flew for a couple of hours, and then enjoyed some chips and pint - all very nice.
Probably a few more up there tomorrow and Sunday, so we should have some pictures up soon.