The joy of slope

I love the sound of Option C.....I bet an EPP wing filled with PU glue would be just about indestructable......I would absolutely hate doing it though.....horrendously messy I would think.....

For anyone contemplating such a move then do please let us know how you get on (plus lots of pictures of you stuck to the cat etc...) but it might be worth pointing out that you can get PU glue from your local builders merchants.....£7 for 750ml here. Much cheaper than the branded Gorilla Glue. (They also do a 5 minute version which would be interesting......you could stick yourself to the work bench in 5 minutes instead of 30....)

Lightweight filler (Spackle) is available here Again, much cheaper than Polycell....

Advert

I think I agree Steve, I might try that on my Xit and then add colour with lightweight vinyl used for sign writing. Where did you find that info Steve it looks like a good resource. I might wait and see how you get on first - dont forget the rubber gloves, PU is a pain to get off if you get it on your skin.

I think spackling is overrated.
For starters, on EPP, it flexes and soon cracks and comes loose under any covering that is applied....waste of time IMO. Ive done it on wings, and frankly I wouldnt bother again.
The only time I spackle, is rigid foams like EPS, to fill panel lines, and scratches etc.
Of course the whole spackling thing started in the US - and what do that lot know
A clubmate has used the lam film, and reckons it is great ( apart from the compound curves of course ) and also agrees...forget the spackle.

Posted by Conwy Soarer on 12/08/2011 12:49:23:
I think I agree Steve, I might try that on my Xit and then add colour with lightweight vinyl used for sign writing. Where did you find that info Steve it looks like a good resource. I might wait and see how you get on first - dont forget the rubber gloves, PU is a pain to get off if you get it on your skin.
That exert came from the Ubercraft web site I think, theres a whole 9 pages about covering EPP wings. Thanks for the advice about using rubber gloves, I hadn't thought of that. Here is what it says about applying the glue, although I'm not going to go past item 5 to spackle and repeat the process.

Option “C”: Polyurethane Glued:

1. Sand and shape the wing to the final desired shape, removing as much of the fuzz from the surface as possible. Don’t leave any loose particles on the surface.

2. In a disposable cup, thin about 3 parts Polyurethane glue (Gorilla brand works best) with about 2 parts lacquer thinner. Mix until you achieve the consistency of light maple syrup.

3. Pour the thinned glue evenly over the entire wing surface in a thin zig-zagging bead. Using a thin, short and wide brush spread the glue bead all over the wing. Use the brush bristles to press the glue into the pores of the foam as you are spreading it. This will take some time but make sure you don’t leave any excess glue on the surface and no area uncovered.

4. Once one surface of the wing is completely wet with glue leave it to dry. Depending on atmospheric conditions and the foam, some or all of the thinned glue you applied will foam.

5. After the glue has dried, depending on how much you applied and how well it foamed, you have some sanding to do. Remove by sanding, all of the glue above the surface. Stop sanding before you start seeing the white color of the EPP.

EPP Surface Preparation Page 5 6/10/2011

6. Spackle the wing with lightweight spackle and sand it lightly when dry.

7. Repeat steps 2 thru 4.

8. After the glue has dried sand the surface to remove the high spots and then move to less coarse sandpaper (320 grit) to produce a smooth surface.

9. Examine the surface of the wing. If it is still too porous (you see a lot of tiny holes) and not as smooth as you want, you can repeat the process of applying more layers of thinned polyurethane glue. With each application the pores will get more clogged and more solid surface area is created for the covering to adhere to. Obviously, every time you apply the glue, the more weight is added to the wing (even thoug

Hi Guys
Just a quick question this time.
I'm getting on well with the re-covering of my Zagi, but, is the cross weave tape ok to use for the elervon hinges? It appears to be sticking like poo to a blanket .
Thanks

Phil

We tend to cover the wing and elevons then hinge using the Staples version of Sellotape Crystal Clear tape, hinge top surface first then bend the elevon up until it touches the top surface of the wing to seal the lower hinge line. Top tip - when sticking the hinge tape on the top surface hold the elevon in the DOWN position this gives a nice free hinge line. Also just a heads up we buy our coloured tape from Staples - just over £10 for a pack of 6 different colours:

Jon

Thanks for all the help,
it's finished now, just got to check the balance and charge the battery.
it is not 100% perfect, but a whole lot better than it was before.

Before

And now

And the bottom

Just got to find time now to fly it

Phil

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 15/08/2011 09:48:23:
Hi all you Orme fliers . I shall be visiting the Orme on Friday and Saturday, 26th/27th August, (bank holiday weekend) to come and see what all the fuss is about. And if I still have a flyable plane on the Sunday, I may just stay on and go home on the Monday. Would be good to get together for a beer or 3 one evening too.

PM sent.

I am so new to sloping, but, his Sunday it is our clubs bbq day and to be honest I'm looking at xc weather and thinking - let it be too windy for i.c !!!! I want to fly my Zagi
Oh it's addictive
Phil

Ah ha, Phils been bitten by the bug.

XC shows Saturday as 10mph southerley, which equates to 15 - 20mph at the Bwlch. It also means flying the Back of Wrecker slope, which I haven't flown yet, so I WILL be there. As for Sunday? It's far to early to tell anyway and with it being a week away the forecast could change anyway.

Had a cracking day at Mickey's yesterday Phil, and Roger brought along his new Stingray. What a beast of a plane that is! Absolutely incredible and weighing in at 5½kg.