Damaged LiPo disposal - advice required please.

My Radian crashed this morning, vertically with the motor running at full speed. and is now reduced to lumps of foam!
The battery fetched up against the back of the motor and is badly distorted. I have check and it is not leaking but it would seem prudent to scap it for safety.
It was fully charged before the (short) flight and I would therefore like to fully discharge it initially.
Since I have no other planes in which to run it down how do you suggest I go about it?
Any other helpful advice would be welcome.

Advert

Hi Rick
the easiest,safest method is to drop it into a container of salty water for a few days. The most fun,dangerous method is to stab it with a nail on the end of a stick!!

Of course i always recommend the first option!

Make up a simple circuit with a lightbulb - car type will do - and when it is discharged, make a few incisions into the cells, drop it into a bucket of salty water and leave outside for 24 hours. It can then be disposed of with other household rubbish.

Pete

just for giggles, after turning a lipo into a concertina (vertical landing at full throttle) I took it out in the garden and used a rolling pin to reshape it. It didn't burst into flames and after that it actually took a charge and I got several more flights out of it, admittedly it didn't live for long though. What really surprised me was that it survived this treatment at all.
I'm not suggesting this as a valid course of action, and when I did it I was wearing thick motorcycle gloves and eye protection, but it was interesting to find out just how tough these cells can be.
Salt water is the safe option though!

Thanks for all cautious and not so replies! Had I seen T.M's reply sooner I might have been tempted to give this LiPo a second chance, however it has been in a bucket of brine for a few days now awaiting disposal.
In the future I must cosider a battery mounting that has frontal cushioning to stop this sort of damage. Of course it would help if I was a better pilot!
Rick.