Hello

Hi everyone!

My name's Simon, Im an electrician from Hereford, And Id like to get back

into RC aircraft.

My only experiance is of flying 2 channel glider at local football field

whilst at school and watching a local fella fly his IC craft. He was really

helpful, bringing a bungie launch, teaching me technique, and even rigging my

glider up with a spare preformed wing he had.

That was a long time ago and Ive since moved 7 miles away from the area and

learnt that he dosent fly there any more. Im now approching 30 years old and

have 2 young girls. Id like to take on a hobby than I can involve my family in

and satisfy my natural urge to tinker! Im also a PC enthusiast but find my

interest waning as its solitary, expensive and dosn't give me as much

satisfaction as it used to. I cannot afford time or money to do both, although I

am aware that computers do compliment this hobby quite nicely.

I looked into it last year and couldnt belive my luck when a nice chap

offered me a partialy built Precedent Fly-Boy, saying its been collecting dust

for years, he started it with his son and they never finished it and would

rather it went to some use than sit in his garage! It had radio gear as well,

the only thing missing was the engine! Ive since finished the build and,

somewhat ambitiously, converted it to a brushless outrunner (said I like to

tinker!).

Now all I need is some insurance and somewhere to crash it untill I can keep

it in the air! Although this is proving to be frustrating at the moment!

So thats me, sorry for the life story.

Hello once again. Thanks.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 18/06/2011 17:35:54

Advert

Hi Simon and welcome - you may find the forum quiet this weekend due to a large model show happening down at Weston park.
If you use copy and paste, you need to use the little "Word" icon button on the toolbar above - otherwise, as you can see, the format gets messed up. Also, be sure to have a look a the other tutorials we have done over HERE.
Sounds like you are all ready to go apart from a site and insurance!
Check the BMFA site for local clubs to you, and if you do decide to go it alone..... make sure you at least have Insurance, which you can get from BMFA without having to join a club.
Welcome back to the hobby...they all come back eventually

Hi Simon and welcome to the hobby!

Being a computer-phobe myself I've never had any trouble with unsolicited Ps turning up in my posts!

Best of luck with the Fly-Boy, I've only ever seen one fly and that was over-powered. You have a throttle of course....

Thanks Tim. Ive looked up some of the local clubs and although a popular one is about half hours drive from me I would really like somewhere close by I can fly more casually but finding someone who will give me permission is proving difficult. Theres a park behind my house but is too small and populated by dog walkers constantly. The local leisure centre said I could do what I like on their ground so long as I dont interfere with other activities but it has astroturf pitches and a golf corse close by and the whole place is surrounded by road and town so untill Im more proficient I dont feel confident flying there although I might give it a go on an early morning.
Does everyone who flies at a club only use the club or do most have their own patch to fly? Id be glad of any tips as to how to approach people seeking their permission to fly, as Im finding that either people dont know whats involved and therefore are not interested or they know of RC flying but think its a noisey niussance and dont want it anywhere near them.

Hi David.
The highboy was half built when I acquired it. I bulit the wing, tail plane, covered it and installed a 400W motor with a 9x4 (and got some 9x6) prop, 80A ESC and 2200 mAh 20s lipo. I cut the nose back to the firewall and fitted a comercial Alu. motor mount which ive butchered to get prop shaft in same position as it would have been if I used an IC engine. I used some foam PVA and duct tape to construct a cowl to hide the ugly frame which means the planes nose no longer resembles what the orginal model looks like.
I can try and get some photos if anyones interested but Im wondering if I should put them in another forum section?

Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 18/06/2011 19:47:25:
Hi Simon.
Glad to hear your back ,if you don't join a club might be an idea to knock up a light weight foam EP model to get some flying practise before trying the Hi Boy.

Hi Tom. After a visit to my mums house recently I found plans and instructions for Banana2000 2ch trainer which I built but never flew. The model went in bin years ago (fool) but Im currently trying to build a new one from scratch as a small second model which may be safer to use in park behind my house. It was made by middle eastern company called Tissan Haifa.

Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 18/06/2011 19:47:25:
Hi Simon.
Glad to hear your back ,if you don't join a club might be an idea to knock up a light weight foam EP model to get some flying practise before trying the Hi Boy.

And prey tell what model may that be Tom? lol only kidding mate

Welcome form me Simon

• 3 weeks later...