Spraying film

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with painting over the film on my rudder at the moment.
To be honest I can't remember what the film is but it is textured plastic with small squares in it.
I have sprayed about 3/4 coats now and the weave is still visible and the over laps army going anywhere despite sanding etc...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Craig.

Hi Craig, I reckon you're on a looser, if you are trying to fill the weave on a textured film.

The texture shows through when fabric is used on full size, unless a lot of (heavy) paint is applied, and it's the same on our models.

If you need a smooth high gloss finish, then use paint on sheeted surfaces, and profilm on open structure.

Also Glosstex comes to mind. It is a heavier version of solartex, with a high gloss finish applied, and boy, it's heavy

ernie

Hi Ernie,

thanks for the feedback and help there. I am useing the film on open structure, its the only open structure on the mossie which is the rudder. I was going to use tissue but failed misserably.
Anyhow, I think I may sand the whole rudder gently and leave the paint which is in the holes and then reapply some more coats, I think I may get somewhere like that.

But at the moment I am back on my rust bucket in the north sea so wont be doing anything for two weeks.

Hi ernie,

I have looked at my many photos of the mossie but none shoe texture but they do show fabric joins which is good.
They are like zig zag pleats and I know where to buy some from.
As for building on the rig, no we can't unfortunately and I don't think anything would survive in my bag, planes and trains on the way up here lol.

If I could I would.

Cheers.

Hi Craig,
Do leave the weave, it is really authentic, also weight at the back is an enormous stupendous no no.

The serrated tapes are difficult. You could try to tear tex against a saw blade, or as Danny says, have a look at Mick Reeves website

ernie

Hi Danny, thanks for the feedback. Yeah I may make an order with Mick, I need rivits and panel lines so kill a few birds with one stone.
Only problem is though is I made a mistake and ended up making a patch on the rudder, I could put some of that tape on top and make it look like it's supposed to be there lol!.

I don't know, I may just recover the thing.
Any film suggestions if I do?.