Flying on recreation grounds and in other public spaces

f3ktony

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/07/2011 13:35:29:
Lord save us from "crusaders". Peter, I'll make only one observation and then ask one thing of you if you would be so kind.

The observation - I am truely grateful of the fact that I live 200 miles away!

The request - please do not give any of these councils reason to believe that you speak for me - or indeed I suspect even the majority of fliers!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/07/2011 15:35:01:

Hi, WalkaMile...As I've said - I have no problem with anyone flying appropriate models, under the right circumstances, in suitable parks. But I do have a problem with the potential damage that could be done to the image of our hobby, and loacl club's carefully nurtured relationships with local authorities over both flying access and noise issues, by "Mr Speedy", with his "challenging" approach and public statements.

Many of us are in potentially delicate and vulnerable positions - we don't need "loose cannons" speaking on the national media which might be mistakenly taken to represent the view of the flying community in general.

BTW Peter, congratulations on your limited suceess in obtaining at least some access to your local parks. But you see our, perhaps slightly slower, but certainly more "user friendly" approach, gives us all day access, 365 days of the year and allows the flying of electric, IC and gas turbine models. Amazing what you can achieve with a little subtlety, tact and diplomacy isn't it?

BEB

YES BUT WHERE, AND IN HOW MANY PARKS, THAT ARE NOT CONNECTED TO CLUBS.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/07/2011 15:35:01:
BTW Peter, congratulations on your limited suceess in obtaining at least some access to your local parks. But you see our, perhaps slightly slower, but certainly more "user friendly" approach, gives us all day access, 365 days of the year and allows the flying of electric, IC and gas turbine models. Amazing what you can achieve with a little subtlety, tact and diplomacy isn't it?

BEB

Free access for all - or only members of the club?

Some access is all I/we want, a blanket ban is unjustified in most cases I suspect.

Of course it's getting out of hand Spice Cat, on one side you have the health and safety/risk assessment/by the book brigade then you have the lone flyers/mavericks/bad people on the other. Common sense is to be legislated out of us and we must all comply to whatever laws the authorities deem necessary to keep us safe. Most of us have more chance of being killed or injured or killing, injuring others just getting to our flying fields.

Tony