Gliding video thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey Ian, you've never experienced rotor until you've tried landing on the Wrecker or Crest. If you stand more than 10ft in from the cliff edge, the wind on the back of your head is as strong as the wind in your face and destroys models for a pastime. At the Crest it isn't too bad as you only have to walk 100 yards or so back up a gentle slope to land, but at the Wrecker you have to walk 100 yards to the car layby to your right, cross the road, then walk 100 yards up the hill in order to be able to land safely, whilst flying your plane all the time. But when the wind is blowing at least 15mph, it is well worth it as the lift is immense

• 1 month later...
Big Phil and I flying on Eglwsilan Common near Pontypridd yesterday. Wind westerly, gusting 30mph. In the opening shot you can see what is probably one of the best flying slopes in the country, The Crest at The Bwlch. I was flying my Phoenix MP Synergy and Phil his WT. As you'll see, I could do with some landing practice lol.

Nice video Steve,
My filming looks like it's improving....lol

It was a good few hours on the slope, most enjoyable

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 29/12/2011 09:34:46

Yea Phil, your camera work is definitely improving. The weather helped though as you didn't get sun glare on the viewing screen.

I've put the vid on Vimeo too but with reduced quality as I only have a 500mb size limit.

As this is the "video thread", I think this post is valid here.

I'm just wondering what video editing software everyone's using and why?

I've been using Pinnacle in various versions over the years, these days I'm using V14 HD but I find that a lot of the supplied title themes are very home video looking rather than getting a professional look. Also I'm disappointed with the titles we produce ourselves, Pinnacle doesn't allow effects to be added to the titles, like sliding in or out, spirals, rolling credits etc. Most other things are what you would expect to find on all other suites.

Today I downloaded a trial version of Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 and tried editing video there.
This seemed much better with its titles, allowing all sorts of effects to be added. I also liked the choices of supplied music to add to the video. When I produced my video in full HD 1080 resolution, it rendered very quickly, far faster than Pinnacle, however, Powerdirector doesn't seem to tell you at this stage how big the video file will be, particularly when you select to upload directly to Vimeo. If you have a basic Vimeo account you can only upload a 500mb video so it would have been helpful to know how big your file is before you upload it.

Microsofts Live Movie Maker does just about everything I want from a video editing suite, however, there always appears to be a noticeable hesitation between clips, and the only way around this is to add a transition, but I don't always want to do that. I would pay for some extra special effects if Microsoft produced them and got rid of that annoying hesitation.

I hated MS movie maker, for many reasons, but not being able to use .mov natively (conversion took forever) was the main reason, it wouldn't do HD either without upgrading to a Windows 7 machine!

Pinnacle was very slow, crashed a lot and the results mediocre.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0, what a revelation! Well written code that runs at an acceptable speed with 720p HD video on a low spec lap top (Duo 1.6Ghz) easy to use time line and great results.

The cons, nothings perfect is it

Cannot get a default setting to switch off oversampling which results in an annoying ghost image on fast moving video, easy to do manually but you have to remember to do it every time. Annoying if you forget and you have just rendered, but I can live with it. Just select all the video time line, by right clicking and select all. Then right click again and select Switches - Disable Resample.

Took a few goes to select the correct output file, use the 'Sony AVC .mp4 1280x720-25-p' setting, or the 1080p version.

It has basic effects and titles, but I havn't explored them much. There are newer versions of Sony Vegas, but unless you want to spend lots of money and have a high spec machine I wouldn't bother. I paid £25 about a year ago for the online version (no disc).

Not only does this software work with great results, it is actually very quick to edit everything together once you have learned how to use it. You can then spend your time working on your project rather than getting frustrated by the software. Render time on my lowly laptop is 20 min for 5 mins of 720p Hd and about 300MB.

Tom

Just got myself a new video editing suite, Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 Ultra, and I have to say its far and away better than Pinnacle 14 I was using before. Here's my first vid using the new suite.