Gliding video thread

Thanks Tim/Phil

The soundtrack came with the editing suite, to say I was impressed is an understatement, and it also comes with many features my previous editing suite couldn't do. I shall have fun playing with it.

Well I managed to strip a flap servo in the Xenon, flew it but it sounded awful when landing under crow, so retired it for the day and flew the D60 instead. The wind built more and more all day and it was getting difficult to stand upright on the edge and keep warm so we decided to call it a day. The landings were also getting a bit 'interesting' as well!

Tom

Hi Tom,
Nicely made vid and good music!
I really need to have a go at this slope soaring business as I've just looked at the last two vids and it does seem a bit go left- go right - go left - go right……. rather like watching tennis. There must be a lot more to it than this as it's so popular, particularly on this site. Or is it just what was going on during the time you were filming? Or, I guess, this is what you might mean when you were talking about racing…?
T

PS Before anyone decides to take affront, there genuinely is no intent to put slope soaring down - it just looks from the vids a bit …restricted...

Tom,
Just watched a video from 30 June by Lee and that makes more sense. To be honest it looks like they are flying off the edge of a cliff - a very long walk for the plane if you get it wrong!!

I totally understand Tony, even I get bored as a spectator, but it's a lot more fun as a competitor.

Once you've had a go its a LOT harder than it looks, flying a 3M span model 10ft off the edge of the slope at 50 mph (average speed) and flying the tightest course without overshooting the bases without cutting takes some serious skill.

Then thare is all the tinkering with the model setup adjusting ballast, CoG, differential and snap flap its a nightmare, but I love it.

Also factor in landing these things 7 or 8 times during the day in turbulent rotor without breaking an expensive airframe just adds to the stress.

One more word of warning, its a very expensive addiction that takes up all your free time.

Enjoy!

Tom

Hi Tony

Slope soaring isn't just about flying backwards and forwards across the face of a cliff, that is just F3F racing for you. I prefer to fly around doing aerobatics and am still on a huge learning curve after only taking up the slope back in May last year, but with the right glider, and conditions, you can just about perform any manoeuvre with a glider that you can with a powered model. Take a look at some of the other vids on this thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. My latest, (about a page ago on this thread) was flying an all foam Phoenix MP Synergy sport or semi aerobatic model, and I have great fun flying it.

Tom / Steve,
I'm sure it's a lot more difficult than it looks - that's always the way when you see someone who's good at something. Not sure I get the racing bit though. How do you know where the end markers are, whether you've gone beyond/round them? Not a great spectator sport as you say.
Pity there aren't more slopes around here.
T

Hi Tony, the course runs along the edge of slope marked out by two posts or 'bases' 100m apart, at each base is a buzzer man.

The Pilot stands in the middle with the CD who tells the pilot when he can launch, you then have 30 secs to climb out and get as much height as possible, you also have to go off the course so that you can re-enter the course to start your timed run. The CD will count you down so that you can re-enter the course before the timer starts running, as you cross base 'A' the buzzer man presses the buzzer button as you pass the post, you then get buzzed at Base 'B' when you can make your return run, you have to fly 10 laps to score a time, quickest time wins the round with a 1000 pts, everybody else gets a percentage of these points based on how fast he flew divided by the fastest time. He or she who gets the most points for the day wins, we try and fly 6 or more rounds.

If you turn too early before the buzzer man buzzes then you have to 'cut' or go around again either doing an extra lap or just looping around again to get the base. The fastest pilots are very tight on the bases and rarely cut, they also maximize any lift they find and fly the shortest course to get the fastest time.

There's more info on Mike Shellim's site,

http://www.rc-soar.com/bmfa_league/index.html

Tom

You can hear the beeps on this video, and see the posts as well

Edited By Tom Foreman on 08/01/2012 16:38:32

2nd flight with my 1/3.75 ASW20C.

Edited By Slopeflyer on 14/01/2012 18:57:07

And here is the video of Cliff Hanger flying his Dorado on the Crest last Sunday.

And no sound Copyright grrrr

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 18/01/2012 20:30:48

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 18/01/2012 20:32:04

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 08/01/2012 20:44:19:
Here is the video of the maiden flight today of my Speedo, which didn't quite go to plan. Watch and see.

Very nice Steve, I've just ordered one as there is a usable slope not far from home. Great to see it's a decent flier.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 28/01/2012 20:18:00