Gliding video thread

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 09/08/2011 12:08:00:
But NT agreement is very clear on NO POWER models whatsoever.

That includes electric I think also - correct me if I am wrong! I tend to try it and see, they way I see it as long as it is safe and is not likely to cause any damage you should be OK - mind you I do know of someone who flew off the prom in Llandudno very early one morning and also the grassy bank near the Cayley in Rhos on Sea, I think it was before risk assessments became popular - very naughty!

Yep - sorry, forgot to add that there is absolutely NO power flying of any kind on National Trust sites.
I have had words with other ( Grockle) flyers, before now, flying electric gliders off one of our local NT sites. They were OK about it, saying that they didn't know of the BMFA and didn't know of any NT restrictions.
They do now!

Well that's a valuable bit of information, any NT land = Ok for non power sloping.

'twas worth asking.

I thought I was familiar with the BMFA handbook but I'd missed that info, rummage, rummage, search, nope still can't find it.

Thanks very much, I'll have to visit some NT hilss now and do some video so that I haven't gone too far off thread

Edited By Ian Jones on 09/08/2011 18:28:21

I try out new slopes all the time, I don't haver permission to use the land but normally there is some sort of path and the nature of slope soaring is that people tend to tolerate it. With my DS models a bit of common sense is needed as these things are far more dangerous than a power model and as noisy, but the number of people and places to DS is quite small at the moment so hopefully we won't get banned.

Found a new DS slope tonight near Kendal, called The Helm

Tom

Posted by Ian Jones on 09/08/2011 18:26:12:
I thought I was familiar with the BMFA handbook but I'd missed that info, rummage, rummage, search, nope still can't find it.

That's because it's not in the BMFA handbook.
It is, however, mentioned on the NT website. HERE

Quote - "The National Trust welcomes non-powered model flying on its land, recognising that the activity seldom causes significant disturbance, provided particular care is taken with regard to other visitors, livestock and birds."

Posted by Tom Foreman on 09/08/2011 20:05:11:
I try out new slopes all the time, I don't haver permission to use the land but normally there is some sort of path and the nature of slope soaring is that people tend to tolerate it. With my DS models a bit of common sense is needed as these things are far more dangerous than a power model and as noisy, but the number of people and places to DS is quite small at the moment so hopefully we won't get banned.

Found a new DS slope tonight near Kendal, called The Helm

Tom
DS Models & DS slope?
Oh no! I've been reading a book and I know what you're talking about, Citreon used to make them didn't they .
Dynamic Soaring eh, bit of a tricky art I beleive?

Oops, better stop there, this is a video thread isn't it. Perhaps you could enlighten us new guys in "The Jopy of Slope" thread Tom?

Perhaps this will enlighten

Edited By Tom Foreman on 10/08/2011 17:54:09

Posted by Tom Foreman on 10/08/2011 17:51:49:
Perhaps this will enlighten

Edited By Tom Foreman on 10/08/2011 17:54:09

Thanks Tom

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/08/2011 12:41:33

• 2 weeks later...
Here it is, Sundays video from the Orme

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 30/08/2011 23:16:12

Nice video Steve, TBH I have missed the Orme over the past few weeks, I really enjoyed my soaring South Wales style but you cant beat the Orme for conveninece in terms of wind directions/strength and ease of getting to the slopes (for me anyway)

Here is a video of me flying the Weasel in light winds above the Scotch Pines pub, I was on my own so footage is from a fixed camera on a tripod.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
New Arsen available from T9hobbysport

Edited By Tom Foreman on 25/10/2011 21:45:09

jeeez and crackers, ive always thought of slope soaring as a slow kind of thing, wait for the wind to blow you up, have a little fly round slowly floating coming down, then wait again to go up, that last vid its like a rocket, might have to have a look further into this now with the hills and wind round my manor, what have ya done to me ! lol

Hi Neil, yes if you want to go fast you need a super slippery glider with plenty of ballast and a big steep hill and lots of wind. Once you've mastered that you are then ready to enter the dark and mysterious world of dynamic soaring, current world record 468 mph, maybe they'll break 500mph this DS season, only time will tell!

Tom