Sparking Lipoly

Kelly

Yes many thanksTimbo, like Myron says,learning all the time .

Will do as you say.

Oh and thanks for the compliment, have not been called 'young man' for some years now  .

Might start the P-40 tonight, four strokes seem less complicated.

How is the Camel coming along?

Thanking you,

Kelvin.   

The camel is still in its box.....I am awaiting a different motor which should be here soon.

Myron....the delay just allows the battery to stabilise and revert to room temperature- not strictly necessary, but in view of the specific testing we are doing in this case, I just wanted a "level playing field" as it were.

Incidentally, remember that LiPo s will perform pretty poorly in cold weather ( all batteries tend to ) so try to conduct all your tests in the warmth if possible. At this time of year, I always bring any packs I intend to use imminently into the house and then transport them to the site wrapped and insulated. I then keep them in a warm woolen bag, in my coat pocket, and only fit them into the model immediately prior to launching.

Hi guys, interesting stuff.

The ESC I use is programmable (I assume they all are) to shut down at a specific voltage depending on the number of cells in the pack. Reading the instructions however, I noted that the default setting was for the ESC to stop at 70% of battery voltage. When powered-up the ESC would beep three times to indicate the number of cells connected to it the beep a further 7 times to indicate it was set to the 70% cut-off value. This is all well and good as long as the battery is fully charged the first time you switch it on. The ESC looks at the battery voltage every time it is switched on and then sets the cut-off point accordingly. If you had a pack was was only at say 10v then it would be below the 9v safe limit when the ESC shut down. Suffice it to say I had this setting changed so that now the ESC stops at 9v regardless of the starting voltage.

I wonder if this is what happened to the chap at the start of this thread?

Doug      This is exactly what I as thinking on another thread yesterday as I had read it somewhere -You have explained more eloquently though .I just thought that the lipo should always be fully charged before connection to the ESC so that it would set itself to 70% automatically of the voltage at the time .My ESC is a Hifie & dont know if its any different from all the others or indeed is programmed to do whatever -whenever yet. My Prolux charger sets itself to my 4s automatically & tells me when every cell is fully charged with LED s & thats all I know at this time  NEXT??

Strictly speaking...the battery SHOULD only be connected to the ESC when it is fully charged in order for the ESC to correctly identify the number and type of cells. However, many ESCs these days will do as Doug's does, but it is advisable to check carefully the MO of your particular ESC. Personally I never worry about it, because I ALWAYS connect a fresh battery, then fly until it's time to land, remove the battery, and mark it ready for a recharge. I then use the next fresh battery.

Incidentally, I NEVER fly to LVC anyway, and you will find the majority of experienced leccy guys do not either. It is bad practice, shortens overall LiPo life, and can be the difference between making that finals or not!

After the maiden of every model, I check the flight duration obtained, then set my tr Timer ( ESSENTIAL if you are a leccy flier ) to 1 minute less than that figure. I then ALWAYS head for the strip immediately my timer sounds the 10 second countdown. I then find that on inspection, the battery has at least 10% capacity remaining or more.

see here

The learning curve continues guys....and never stops

Yes Kelvin it looks as though I was a little premature in suggesting you bin the battery......just goes to show you should always seek a second opinion!!!

I'm still confused as to how a Lipo battery, having its voltage driven so low that it won't even move the servos, can survive though......My understanding was that if a Lipo dropped below about 2.5 volts per cell then it was dead, kaput, deceased, turned up its collector plates (I feel a touch of Monty Python coming on here..."The Dead Lipo Sketch"...it is an Ex-LiPo...it has ceased to be!!!!

I will be very interersted to hear if it comes back to full performance after a bit of TLC.....

Good advise on the flight times too....land once the sparkle goes out of the performance...driving yer battery down to the PCO point is just going to shorten the battery life & risk the aircraft as the PCO may cut in when you're low & slow & cause you to land out....not good!!!!

Well I did the discharge cycle and may do a few more just to be sure.

I think if the esc was at fault I would have crashed on my last flight , This was first time I have flown  until the motor cut off, the motor stopped downwind,came in to land straight away,controls still working normally ,I did have the correct esc setting  for this flight (2 beeps).

All this lecky stuff has worn me out .

I am going to chill  assembling the P-40 next week.

My Wife (ground crew) has promised to learn how to use my 12 year old camcorder to video the first flight or crash of the Me109 .

Thank you Timbo for all  your help  .

Kelvin