Considering taking the plunge.

Spice Cat

I have just finished putting a couple of patches on the crashed Bird Dog and few repair patches to a sorry looking Arising Star (2).
Buoyed up with this success, methinks this covering lark is easy. Before sanity reasserts itself I am now considering the winter project as a trad kit.
I have always been put off as I do not like the idea of putting the covering on. Having taken some valuable advice from club members who have turned this aspect into an art form, and read the articles in RCM&E, I put said advice to work, was very pleased with my efforts today and idea of the trad build came to mind.
Question for the great and good;
Suggest a good beginners kit in the .46 range (Even one that would accept an electric (there I said it) conversion.) The larger the better as I have hands like stokers shovels.
As usual; your thoughts please.

Advert

I'd suggest you build either a WOT4 or and Acro-WOT. Both good first time builds, and the real WOT4 is tons better than the ARTF in my view. Which one is your choice.

Regarding covering - its 99.9% practice. The more you do it the easier it gets. One tip, get yourself an old model - either off a clubmate, a swap meet (loads in the autumn) or on e-bay. Strip off the covering, and recover it. Because its an old model that you don't particularly care about, you can relax and experiment with different techniques and even different covering materials etc. You'll learn a lot and will face your first "real" covering job with more confidence.

BEB

I was just about to post agreeing that the Maggie would be a good choice and suggest that you might also consider a Wot4 - but BEB got there first! There's a bit more building in the Magnatilla but they are both well proven fliers and straightforward builds although your shovels might find the Maggie a bit more delicate in the building stage.

Thanks. I showed the part about stripping an old model to my wife and suggested Linda Lusardi. Bad move.
I do have a naked Flair Super Cub in the loft for practice though. I have abandoned hope of rebuilding her and the frame is twisted beyond sensibility.
Keep you posted.