E Flight Habu 32

Here are a couple of pictures of my new toy !, treated myself to the whole package including retracts and three Flight power 6S 5000 ma 50 C batteries at Wings and wheels.
Had three flights so far and all I can say is "who needs a turbine" (well actually I wouldnt mind the P20 conversion)

Flys as though its on rails but took a while to get airbourn and landing was fast. I have moved CG to most rearward position which should allow better elevator authority

Advert

I know what you mean Tim, The big issue was running out of elevator authority on the landing, even being fast using full up elevator it was impossible to land holding the nose up (most were fairly firm landings on all three)
I.ve just changed from DX7 to DSX9 so have re-installed the gear with a mix for nosewheel steering as with it Y leaded on rudder it was much too sensitive (this didn't help the take off run)
I have read on another forum about putting a 1/4" block under the nosewheel mount to raise the nose a little so may try that after a few more flights.

Chris

James, what you have to remember with these non-foamy jets is that the wing loading is quite high, slow them up too much and they just fall out of the sky. They are so slippery though that they are not the easiest in the world to slow down.

Your comment on all moving tail planes is interesting, I have some gliders with and without all moving tail planes and I don't notice any difference in elevator authority.

Wheel brakes would be a definite advantage though.............

Brakes not needed, the landing roll isn't that long on grass, now I have it set up on my new DSX9 I should be able , using flight modes, to get it trimmed exactly as I want for each flap setting.Add to this different rates at each flap setting , So hopefully the landings will be a little smoother.

Tim, my price included 8 servos (all jr), a AR7010, fan and motor and retracts, In addition you need quite a few extensions and a couple of Y leads (amount of Y leads depends on how many channels you have, 7CH you need three Y leads, 8ch you need 2)
The speed controller I got from inwoods, a 100A unit with 5A BEC.

I am hoping to fly it again tomorrow evening (have to spend the weekend flying my full size plane, I know its a tough life)

Als hobbies came in at £600 also included servos and eflite retracts, with a guesstimate of....
£50 for a battery, £50 for a speedo and £50 for a receiver.

This was the breakdown

Airframe 195

Fan 25

Motor60

Esc50

Battery50

Retracts 70

Servos 100

Receiver 50

Total..... £600

Three more flights on the Habu this evening, first attempted take off aborted, just wouldn't lift.
Three sucessful flights and getting it tuned in with the flap/elevator trim mix (had to start over as I changed transmitters)
I think I might try some bigger main wheels to help on the bumpy grass strip.
chris

• 1 month later...