David Boddington trainer

david 7

Hi just after some advise as to the best way to join the wings on this model,the plan shows the 54 inch foam veneer wings tobe joined with a wing bandage kit, but i would like the wings to be in 2 parts, i would like to use a rod and tube to join the two wings together with a 2 inch dihedral, would i need 2 rods or would one be ok as the wings are held in place with elastic bands.
thanks Dave

Dave,
Very tricky to get the rods & tubes built-in & aligned correctly in the
foam cores, while maintaining the correct dihedral & introducing no
incidence error between the wing halves.
The soft foam is not really strong enough to hold the rods & tubes
securely & they would probably soon work loose.
Liberal use of epoxy would be needed.
Sorry to be negative - maybe someone else has done it successfully.

Any reason for wanting a two part wing?

Hi david, I wouldn't try it, especially with elastic bands. You would have to devise a system to support the tubes inside the foam, as there is a huge amount of stress at that position in the wing

If you are really keen to go this route, then fit the rods into the fuselage, so that they are well supported and protrude each side. Then fix the tubes in the wings, maybe by cutting two slots in each wing, and hold the tubes in place with a piece of hardwood above and below.

ernie

Thanks for the advise, i thought this would be a easy mod to do the only reason i was going to try this method was for storage and transportation of the wings, looks like im going to make a lot of work for myself if i try this method,the other thing i was going to mention the plans say the dihedral has been pre cut on the wing ends but i can not see it they look flat is there a right and wrong way to cut this correctly so the 2 wings fit snug with no gaps where i will join them together, do i cut from both wings or some from one wing. thanks ernie, richard
Dave

Hi David,
Probably the best way to angle the ends is to use a long sanding block
such as a Permagrit, or glasspaper bonded to a piece of wood.
Remove a little at a time & keep checking - once it's off it's off!
You might find it easier to remove material from just one wing & keep
the other end flat - but it's up to you.
2" dihedral on a 54" wing shouldn't need too much material removing.

To remove the material to get the correct dihedral the normal merthod is this.

Prop the wing up at the correct angle with the end flush with the edge of a table. Then use a big sanding block up against the table so that it stays vertical. that way you sand in the correct angle.

As other s have said. Not a good idea to try and make a two piece wing. As soon as you start cutting the veneers and foam you introduce weak spots and stress points..