Isn't it nice when you get it right!

Hi all,
It's good to share stories of things that go wrong and get support and advice but what about sharing those moments when it all comes together?
Mine was today. The wind dropped so I nipped down to the field after work with my trusty Hangar 9 P-40. She's showing a few signs of my 'flying style' so needs to be looked after! Everything charged and checked, the Saito burst into life first flick. Onto the strip, open the throttle slowly, the tail comes up, a little bounce and a lovely shallow climb out. Wheels up and into circuits, wing overs, loops and rolls. After 10 minutes I set her up for landing, there's no wind so I opt for a long base and final. Keeping a bit of power on I can see the approach line is good. Over the threshold at about 5 feet, at 2 feet cut the throttle for a perfect two wheel landing. Let the tail settle and as the speed bleeds off turn gently before the end of the strip.
Probably my best landing ever! And there was no one else there to see it. C'est la vie. But it's moments like that which make this hobby so rewarding.
Come on, share your feel good stories.

Advert

Hi Tim, great to hear you had such a perfect sortie only problem now is you have set your personal bar quite high now! any landing that is less than perfect will leave you wanting a big arm chair, a cup o' soup and a hug....... just kidding, nice job thanks for sharing

Edited By Dorset flyer on 21/07/2011 01:06:23

My best landing happened when the wheel fell off my travel air in mid flight.

I had a great, long, completely fearless flight as I assumed I was about to turn it into matchwood anyway.

Then came the inevitable. Running on fumes I brought it in on a lovely stable glide path, then just as she was about to touch down I gave a nudge of aileron. She gently settled on her single wheel, and coasted down the strip. Just as she was about to come to a standstill gravity took over, and she gently touched the opposite landing gear strut down (where the wheel fell from) and came to a halt.

I got a round of applause for that one!

Last year I was practicing for an unlimited scale competition with my late friends 1/4 scale Stampe. So two issues - I'd never entered a competition before and the aeroplane must not get damaged!

All was going well and I was up flying around when at one of the farthest reaches of the down wind leg I saw something black falling below the aeroplane. I was quite annoyed because I knew what it was straight away - a wheel. I was annoyed because of the aforementioned points and also because I had always beleived that good preflight checks had prevented this from happening to me, yet there it was making it's way earthward.

Of course my problem now wasn't just landing on one wheel, worse than that I had to land on one wheel and and the axle stub.

A few things were in my favour though. I'd got a reasonable amount of time in on the aircraft, it could be landed incredibly slowly and there was a crosswind blowing from the same side as the missing wheel.

I decided to make a diagonal approach towards the strip to pick up some of the headwind and then just before touchdown apply enough rudder to turn the wing minus the wheel full on into the wind. I put other elevator and aileron inputs too but they were pretty automatic and can't really detail.

Well what a result . It touched down on the wheel, rolled forward on that 3 or 4 feet then gently dropped on the stub axle. It didn't even arc around the axle as it touched the ground. Fantastic .

The only down side is that a keen trainee that had been watching the flight went running off to look for the wheel and fairly soon returned with it, "Where's the collet ?" I asked sourly, "Can't please some people came the reply".

I had the same thing sort of happen to my Pitcairn when it was on one of its first trimming flights. The suspension is fully working with a wishbone that has an axle running though it. These are held into position using M3 grub screws, I could have swarn I checked them but one axle came out completely and left the leg hanging in the wind.
My friend came running over to me and said 'its up now, just fly it and enjoy it' so I had a bit of a flight before plucking up the courage to try and bring it down.
I touched it down on the 'in place leg' and that collapsed, I was fortunate that it didn't tip over and the rotors inertia didn't take over.
Upon checking the UC out I had forgot to check all of the grub screws and most were loose. A simple thing that could have destroyed a few months hard work.

Some times we have lucky days!

Rich

Rich

Looked a good landing in the circumstances! Is it meant to make that funny rattling noise? You are a brave chap to fly the aircraft from that field - trees and telephone wires that close must make it interesting!

The rattling noise is in fact the camera, I think it is the auto focus starting to wear.

Ross,
Without a doubt, days like this make the hobby worth while, though they don't always go like this.

Good to here others stories though