Some advice on my Spitfire please

Advert

Hi Ben, it looks as though its finished to me. But missing the cowling. Can you take a picture of the inside of the fus with the wing removed? It might help to identify the designer.
You say its 81" ? Brian Taylor published three Spits two at 69" and one at 83" so it is probably not one of his. (Though the front is similar to his designs).

Cheers
Danny

Hi Ben, it doesn't look like a Brian Taylor. I think this may be a DB Sport and Scale Spitfire.

If it is you are in luck because Eddie and Judy are incredibly helpful, and will probably still hold cowls. It looks like the kit has been re-designed but Eddie will be able to tell you if the cowl will fit.

Drop him a mail with these pics and see what he thinks?

let us know how you get on?

Cheers
Danny

It was the position of the servo arms that was confusing me. I have used double and even triple servos on a rudder before now but they were ganged together and then on to a pull-pull system. Added this post before your picture appeared on my iPad Tim.

Edited By Doug Ireland on 08/08/2011 16:33:35

Looks like the old version of the DBSportandscale Spit? I got plans for the new version if you want but your model looks like it is almost ready to fly so no need for them? Plus the wings are different by looking at the photos...

Engine size you would need something like a ZG38 or electric of course!

Cheers

The elevator servo setup looks like a poor rendition of a dual redundancy setup which is regularly used on very large models. The two servos normally move exactly the same as each other.
The idea is that is one fails, the other one will still give you enough control to get the model down safely.
If one servo fails though, elevator throw is halved.
It requires the failed servo to fail jammed solid and to be jammed somewhere near neutral.

Personally I'd take out one of those servos and couple the elevator directly to just one.

Hi Ben,

I modified the elevator servo position from the plan, on the DB Spit the elevator linkage is internal with a long "snake" push rod, not my ideal method on a large model. I moved the servo back just behind the cockpit to have a more direct system, shorter the better in this case; positive control with no binding!

The Db spit is based around a Mk1Aa but can be reworked in other various Mk's, Danny will be you man on the distinction and knowledge of individual Mk's etc...

If you like PM me your email address and I can take millions of pics of my DB spit that I 3/4 the way trhough building and help you out, its easier to email rather than upload and post?? Here some pics in my album on here nevertheless... I am after another canopy from the guys at DBS&S so they do spares but are away until the 16th according to the email responce I got..

Ben,

You can get a cowl here

The elevator linkage is easy, on the elevator joiner there is a metal/aluminium control horn soldered onto the joiner so the linkage is hidden! As for the servo ya 1 will do, I am using a 12kg MG servo which is more than enough, baring in mind with a fully symeterical aerofoil you wont need much deflection of the elevator...

Are your control surfaces permantly hinged or can you remove them?

As I say I can help you with pictures, trust me the plans are good for the skeleton of the airframe and then everything is else is left to the hearts content! Let me know

Dusty

cheers dusty yours is looking good let me know how u got on and when its done iv also message DBS&S hopfully thay will have a cowl or some tips i need to paint it agen as its a bit poor atm and i need to get a moter also going to take that servo out chris.