Gelert 1000 slope soarer

It all starts with a drawing. My initial plan was to design a 1500 - 2000 mm span aerobatic soarer as a winter project but I thought it might be fun to design a baby version for sports flying at 1000mm span - with the possibility of submitting for publication if it flew well

First off I laser cut a collection of .8mm birch ply parts for the fuselage, AMT and wing templates..
And then onto assembly, the pictures should be fairly self explanatory - if you have any questions post a reply.

And now onto the wing, sanded from medium 10mm balsa with a .8 X 8mm carbon spar.

and now to some covering and graphics

so thats it so far - just waiting for the right wind and weather to perform its first flight.

What do you think so far?

Jon

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/08/2011 00:03:09:
Nice looking beasty! Just hope it doesn't go the way of the original Gelert

BEB

Oh I don't know, lived a few years, died a hero, and will be remembered forever.
Dont forget the acronym of slope BEB.
Smashed Lost or Pulverized Eventually.

Looks great Jon, look forward to seeing it soon up the big rock.

Well the gear is in and its ready to go once its been recharged.

Stats if I have got my maths right are:

All up weight at the current C of G – 319 g 11.3 oz

Wing area - 1113 cm² 1.2 ft²

which hopefully means a wing loading of – 0.16 g/cm² 9.41 oz/ft²

I only have my compact camera with me but hopefully my wife will manage to get some flight test shots either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Jon

Jon

I have posted a bit more info and pics over on the gliders section, but here is a video of today's maiden for interested parties that dont frequent the silent section of the forum.
Pictures of the flying can be seen in my albums.

Jon

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 22/08/2011 23:19:44:
Looking good Jon, but what did you think

Now there is a question, TBH I think its ace! Its quite nippy as you can see but it can be slowed down for landings. I havent really played or needed the spoileron function yet. On the day of the test flight I must have landed it 4 or 5 times just testing things out. Aerobatically it performs all the usual aeros that do not require the use of rudder, a rudder will be added to the second prototype! Rolls at full rates are blisteringly quick and quite axial, inverted only requires slight down elevator (much less than the Speedo) A couple of thoughts for the second model would be to remake the wing using 12 or 15 mm balsa, I used 10mm and TBH the wing section was a tad thinner than planned hence the high speed ability. I am probably going to knock up an EPP version also. So as I said I am very happy with it so far, will hopefully take it out tomorrow for some more air time.

Jon

Did some further flight testing yesterday, the rates are now pretty much where I want them, I turned out that my low rate setting is actually the best flying set up with rates set below that on my full rate set up on the maiden both the aileron and elevator were way to much!! Landings without spoileron are still not an issue in winds of 10mph plus, I had a go with the spoileron settings yesterday but found it to severe bring the model in almost vertically, first bit of damage here - I broke the rear wing bolt shear plate on one of my spoileron approaches. Next flight I am going to play around with camber +ve and -ve to see how that goes (not that you need it) I might also try a bit of flapperon to slow the approach down and see if that is more useful than spoileron.

Jon

• 4 months later...