Werewolf 3

Advert

Ive finally finished my werewolf and its looking great in red,white and blue remo race style,it looks like a different plane to military style colours.

As ive lost the mag and i cant seem to see it on the plan,what are you recommended control throws for high and low rates and any expo,ive set them to a guestimate and it seems ok,just wondered what you think.

It flys great,quite the little aerobat,but not a 3Der,which is just how i like them.(3D IS NOT flying) The only suitable engine i had was a thunder tiger gp42 and it an absolute rocket with this in it.

I think im gonna put an electric motor in it,never gone electric before.

How heavy has yours and other peoples werewolf turned out at,ready to fly but no fuel?

Cheers for a top design.

Dave

I am glad that you like Werewolf. She is a nice model. As you say, not 3D but never meant to be, like you, I like realistic aerobatics.

Control throws Aileron High rate 3/4" each way, Low, 1/2". Elevator high 3/8" , low 1/4" . Rudder as much as possible. These are what I had set after test flying. Models vary so they are only starting points

Weight 4 lbs 5 ounces.

I have practically finished building mine. I decided to go the electric route and put in a suitable motor, esc and LiPo battery. The all-up weight comes in at a little over 1400 grams, which is a bit lighter than the IC powered version as was in the plan. Also the added benefit is that there is no additional weight penalty for fuel. I have some software which predicts flying characteristics, based on weight, wing area, etc, and according to the calcs, should be drawing about 25A at full throttle, on a 9x6.5 prop ( a bit smaller than the motor could be fitted with), and give a flight time of about 8 minutes on a 2500mAh battery pack. Of course this performance is all theoretical until I have flown it. However, on the ground, full throttle, there is so much power it can almost be hand launched, but I will not be doing that.

I have done it in pseudo military colours (hardly scale) and it looks quite good, if I say so myself.

Looking forwards to flying it. If everyone else who has built has commented on the great performance, I shouldn't (hopefully) be disappointed.

Andrew

Peter

Sorry, 1400g should read 1600g (typo). Be that as it may, I managed to lighten the fuselage by making suitable lightening holes, without compromising strength. Additionally, I made the rudder and tail surfaces not out of solid sheet but builtup framework, then covered. Also other things like the cockpit floor were made of lighter material and the rear formers I made out of thin balsa which I laminated for strength, but were lighter than 1 solid piece as per your design. The turtledeck and front curved part of the fuselage I also did differently by changing the shape of the former and building up the finished shape by means of 2mm balsa. This has resulted in overall weight reduction, but still keeping a strong, stiff structure suitable for electric. Additionally I fabricated a removable lightweight cowl out of fibreglass, instead of your design. The wing design I kept unchanged.

A few photos may help. I can post them on this site (where to so you can see them?)

Andrew 

Hi Dave

I have used the electrifly brushless outrunner 1200kV (model 35-36-1200 - look on electrifly.com website). I have coupled this with their SS45 esc. Motor is rated for 666W constant power, drawing 45A. If I remember the surge is 800W or so. Basically it is equivalent of a .32 IC.

As I said I have under-propped it a bit, to keep the amps down and battery life up. However I can if need be increase the prop size for better performance , but it will mean likely increasing the battery capacity. I will see how it goes.

Your 400W motor should do just OK, as it has the same size as the electrifly version, but if I were you, go with the C3548 700.

Andrew

Question for Peter Miller

Hello, I can't tell if there is a forum for this so i'm going to stick it here!

Can you tell me if the lovely 3D cutaway drawings that are published for the 'Free Pro Plan' articles are done by a skilled artist or is there a CAD type application out there that I haven't found. Also, how are your published plans drawn as i have a number of creations that I would like to offer.

Steve

Hi Steve.

RCM&E have an artist who does the cut aways. I have to say that I admire that skill.

This is my system for plans. I draw the paln in pancil on paper, then I trace it in ink. I have two copies made and build from one and then make any corrections on the other one which is sent to the magazine,

You could have the copies made from a good pencil drawing. These days there are office supply shops in most towns that have an AO size copier.

I do my lettering on the PC and print it out on a clear sticky back plastic called Transtext. I have to do that because my hand writing is so terrible. With neat writing just do it that way.

I know that nice designs are always welcome with magazines. However the neater and better presented they are, the more likely they are to be accepted.

Any other help I can give, just ask.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

• 1 month later...

Peter

HELP

How did/do you do the second half of the wing please ?

Plan has only half, and it will be handed.

Do I have to stick pins in and try from other side as I have been told ? It won't do the plan much good ,I think.

Not a proper builder or any sort of draughtsman me.

David

Hi David

I got hold of a piece of tracing paper, big enough to cover the wing plan. Lay it over the plan, tape it down with masking tape so it does not move, and carefully trace the wing exactly. Then when done, take off the paper, flip over, and hey presto, the second wing perfectly reversed. If you then lay it on top of a white surface, you will see the plan clearly.

Try this out.

Andrew

The other quick method is to wet the plan with paraffin. It goes transparent and stop the glue sticking to it. The paraffin dries out after a time (a day) and the plan is as good as new. NOTE: Oil does NOT dry out.

Tracing is better but getting a sheet big enough may be hard. Tape A4 sheets together.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 27/01/2010 09:10:34

• 1 month later...

Finally got my electrified version of the werewolf up and flying this past holiday break. As I said I kitted it out electric from the start, with 2200mAh LiPo 3S battery. Calculations gave a 9 min flying time, which is what I got in practice. Slight trim needed, but not much. Haven't tried any aerobatics with it yet, just gentle circuits to get the feel. Controls seem sensitive. Peter, did you dial in any exponential on the controls?

Otherwise from here, need to fly and fly to get a better feel. 

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 27/01/2010 09:09:44

• 1 year later...