Maidened UMX Sbach... WOW... !!

Cyclicscooby

Well I got one yesterday at the Nats, and had already got Paul a DX6i for his boats.. ahem..!!

So after doing my first ever 'bind' and setting up the DX6, which aint like my Futaba, but it didn't hake too long to figure out, I waited for the wind to subside..

I read a HUGE post on RCGroups about the model and realised it would probably be OK in 5-10mph wind..!! So off I went..

ROG in the farm yard, off in 10ft on 1/2 throttle, then vertical to about 150ft.. WOW..!!
Flew pretty much the same as my 36" 175W foamie..!! and that runs a 1300 3s..!!
Infact, I flew the same lines, height and distance as the 36"... Amazing from such a small package...

Its soooo fast... I tried rolls, loops inverted, and a poor KE (me!) within a minute, its such a confident little thing.. Everything, and more than, I thought my Minium Edge would be, but wasn't.. Very wasn't

Didn't dare turn off the D/R as it was rolling like a loon at 60%..!!
Already re-programmed the onboard board for dual ailerons and programmed in flaperons, but she didn''t like them in the wind, so I landed without...

My first 2.4G experience too... Man its weird having the aerial down..!!
I'd better not get used to it tho, otherwise i'll forget the aerial on the Futaba..!

I did miss my 'wind' ribbon on the aerial, but happened to buy a 60cm sock at the show yesterday, so swings n roundabouts..

All in all, everything I hoped it would be, and a whole lot more... 10/10

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Advert

• 1 year later...

Like CyclicScooby I'm a Futaba owner through and through, but as these 'off the shelf' micro models get better and better every month I must admit Im becoming well tempted to buy so I can fly in my back yard as opposed to travelling to the field for those quick fixes...

But I know nothing about the necessary Spectrum Tx - can someone point me in the direction of the minimum Spectrum Tx requirement for this model, is there a second hand market for a cheap route to my quick fix need - or should I buy new, and if so - what Tx model? Sorry for basic questions, any advice gratefully received!

Phil

**LINK**

classified £30 5 channel TX . Not computerised but has hi and lo rates with reversable switches. 4 channel is also available as are the smaller indoor txs ( look almost toy like) depends on how far you plan on going . The UMX range is addictive and the bind and fly are also very nice. Get to a swap meet or bring and buy. usually a UMX for sale and they used to come with the smaller tx which is the very least you need.

• 11 months later...

I have to say I flew mine for the first time at the weekend and I really didn't like it. It was a 10mph blow which probably didn't help but for me it just felt uneasy. Perhaps I just like flying heavier and bigger planes but for me it lacked penetration, fell out of the sky when you close the throttle, to do an aeros requires 50% throttle by which time it's flying around like a buzzurk bumblebee (it sure is fast). Even with a forward CoG it doesn't feel locked in, with a rearward one it just feels unstable. I like fast planes and I like responsive planes but the combination of the two leaves little room for enjoyment! It's an amazingly light plane but it just felt too "light", lacking momentum on the corners etc especially when flying at lower throttle settings (which is still v fast).

Going to stick with it and try flying it on a calmer day but not loving it so far.

Okay it's small but so what? For ease of transport it's not much better than, say a 35" Hustle which fits in the boot of the car permanently just as easily and the Hustle feels a lot more locked in. Surely the advantage of microplanes is that you can fly them indoors- no way with this one!

Maybe the problem is that it excels when you bang the CoG back and go all 3D but I prefer pattern flying and with a more forward CoG it just feels a bit wrong. Perhaps that's the issue IE somewhat like someone buying a funjet and then complaining about the slow speed handling....

I'll stick with it and see if it's an acquired taste.....

Posted by Phil Cooke on 29/10/2012 21:36:13:

Like CyclicScooby I'm a Futaba owner through and through, but as these 'off the shelf' micro models get better and better every month I must admit Im becoming well tempted to buy so I can fly in my back yard as opposed to travelling to the field for those quick fixes...

But I know nothing about the necessary Spectrum Tx - can someone point me in the direction of the minimum Spectrum Tx requirement for this model, is there a second hand market for a cheap route to my quick fix need - or should I buy new, and if so - what Tx model? Sorry for basic questions, any advice gratefully received!

Phil

Phil, I'd look for a Dx6i then if you ever want a go with one of the BnF heli's (i.e. Blade 130x) it will handle those as well, whereas the with the cheaper non-programable ones you are limited to the simpler 4 channel models and helis. Plus you get 10 model memories and all the other bells and whistles, if anything the programming is better on the Dx6i than the Futaba 6EX IMHO. I've seen new Dx6i tx's go for less than £80.