Extra wot or not

Phil 9

I am looking for a nice kit to build. the extra wot looks great but it does seem to be very expensive. I could buy an artf great planes revolver for about the kit price

I want a acrobatic model sport or semi scale. something not over complicated that I can finish in iron on film. (dont want to spend years on scale details)

retracts would be a nice feature especialy if the new electric retracts could be used.

any ideas?

Advert

Crescent Tornado or Bullet - ceck out PB Models? pegasus models do a large range of its from Balsa USA and Sig, or for something more exotic (and classic) browse Classic RC Hobby or BlueJay Models, the $ rate makes them good value right up until HMG get hold of them at customs. My King Altair (stuck in customs for the last 5 days) was only £148 including postage! Bet HMG adds another £40 onto that though.
For smaller models Tim's right - Acrowot, Wot 4 kit version or Wot's Wot are all good kits.
Another idea is to keep an eye on Ebay, I've picked up a few untouched kits for less than half price such as a Great Planes Super Skybolt for a ton and an original Crescent Tornado £73 posted.

What about a fun fly from SLEC? I've just completed one, and enjoyed the build - my first pile of balsa build! It was just over ?65 when purchased at a show. Also the Priory Models Silhouette is fantastic value if you buy one at a show - just ?50 - but no web page!

Sorry about the ? Instead of pounds - posting from an iPad and they were pounds when they went in!

Edited By Graham Culver on 03/09/2011 22:20:12

sig four star 60 is not for me just too plain.

Mystic is a possible also galaxy do an interesting P51 mustang. more sport than scale but might be a nice model.

As Bob sugested I have been looking on ebay and bought a mini panic Biplane. If I dont find anything better I will just build this or maybe save it if I find a nice larger model.

I am building up a short list Mystic, Galaxy P51 or I will just have to save the pennies and get the extra wot. The other option is just to stick with an ARTF

Hi guys,
The extra wot is a great kit. It's just not right to compare a kit like it with an ARTF re. cost...... Typical ARTFS are churned out in thousands by the chinese, who seem to earn a bowl of rice a day, and as we well know, quality control can be questionable

I reckon the build is every bit as enjoyable as flying, and chriss foss kits are a real pleasure. Mate it up with a laser 150 and you have a winning combination

ernie

I've recently built an Xtra wot and was very disappointed with the quality of the kit.

I've built CF kits some years ago, but 'out grew' them. For Christmas my better half bought me an Xtra wot (on the strength of my saying it looks nice at a show or shop somewhere), so I was looking forward to the build.

I emailed CF twice about the quality, but got no response.

I tend to document my builds (www.andy-green.co.uk) but my mother used to say if you cant say anything nice don't say anything at all, I've not posted any pictures.

The model is some 10 months finished and I've still not flown it.

Andy

Posted by Ernie on 05/09/2011 09:00:02:
Hi guys,
The extra wot is a great kit. It's just not right to compare a kit like it with an ARTF re. cost...... Typical ARTFS are churned out in thousands by the chinese, who seem to earn a bowl of rice a day, and as we well know, quality control can be questionable

I reckon the build is every bit as enjoyable as flying, and chriss foss kits are a real pleasure. Mate it up with a laser 150 and you have a winning combination

ernie

Galaxy mystic £102 extra wot £279 very similar kits very different price

however you look at it the extra wot is an expensive kit

The xtrawot is expensive and the accessories that are included are a joke, the cheapest plastic spinner I've ever seen in a kit.
It has strengths, build it as per the instructions and balance it where CF says and it will fly straight from the box. A 120 2 stroke would be good, I've seen them fly with 150 lasers, 120 2 str. 135 2 strokes and one with a 91 fx, that was marginal.
Mine is just about finished now, just some trim to paint and then fuel proof but has had 3 engines during its build, a laser v 200, a dla 32 and now sits with an OS 160 fx waiting for the off.
You will find that the money you pay will give you approximately 3 times the amount of wood that an ARTF gives you and they are built like a brick outhouse.
One tip, order it from your local model shop you will get new stock and then check the veneer on the foam wings before paying out and reject the kit if there is just one split or crack in the veneer.
Retracts are a possibility but will introduce stress points in the wing and a vacuum in your wallet, buy the spats fossie sells they would not be out of place on a tiger tank.
If you do buy it put the servos at the back for really short pushrods.
I can't wait to fly mine as everyone I've seen has really looked great; mine is going to weigh in excess of 10lbs and I anticipate it'll handle the wind better than any other plane I have.
Go for it!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
well the majician build is commong along and I am enjoying the build.

but i still doubt my skills are good enough to spend all that money on the extra wot kit
for that much money I would want it perfect and I just cant build to the quality I can buy a model for.

I'd expect that it's the finish that you probably couldn't match as opposed to the build quality. I've seen loads of Wot 4s, plan builds, etc and none of them have come close to a decent ARF. Nice models ? Yes. Nice finish ? Not for me thanks but there is something to be said for vintage models such as the Junior 60 line looking not so smart and shiny.

that really is on the bottom of the power range, ASPs aren't sparkling performers at their best, good motors but not Saito class power. It would fly it, but might be a bit, err, stately? A 150 or 180 fs would be better, or a 26 or 30 petrol. I've seen one locally, I think it had a 26 petrol and wasn't overpowered.

Sad to hear issues with CF kits. I built an xtra wot now getting on for 10 years old has moki 135 up front, lovely combination and still flies very well. If I crashed it I would get another. Bought CF WOT4 artf a couple of years ago and it is a great flier and good value. Sorry but I do rate CF planes!

This is the extra wot I bought. It is very well made but it is a little scruffy around the edges and needs some tlc.

I just need an engine and prop to get it in the air. My aim is just to get it flying first and if all goes well I will then spend time on it to tidy it up.

the covering is white solartex all over with some film colour strips. The covering is very well done exept for the tail section. I am not sure if this is due to it just being a more difficult area to get right or the builder lost patients towards the end of a long build.

the wing had a crack in the veneer that I overlaid with epoxy and glass cloth. this seems to be strong now. The f/g U/C is damaged and is probably best replaced.

I an not sure what engine to buy. I have looked around the classifeds but nothing has come up. I saw a nice os 120 ax on ebay but the description put me right off as they were asking top money for a used engine.

"HI ALL, IM SELLING THIS ON BEHALF OF A FREIND THE ENGINE IS A O.S 120 MAX AX 2 STROKE NITRO ENGINE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION SEE PICS, THERE ARE A FEW FINS BROKEN DUE TO FALLING OFF A TABLE BUT HAS NO EFFECT ON THE RUNNING OF THIS POWERFUL ENGINE.IT ALSO COMES WITH A NEW 90 DEGREE BEND SO CAN BE USED AS A PITS STYLE MUFFLER ALSO ORIGINAL EXTENTION SPACER INCLUDED.THIS IS THE SPEC.
THIS HAS A VERY STRONG COMPERSSION AND DOSENT LOOK AS IF ITS HAD MUCH USE ?"

I dont have an unlimited buget and am tempted by a sc 120 two stroke for £120. but I am also thinking that a laser 150 or OS 155 at about £300 my be a better investment. (spending more now may be cheaper in the long run maybe)

it it flys nice then I can either paint over the solartex or recover the model. a new cowl will also be needed as the original is very tatty but the cowl can wait