Respect the Prop.

Kelly

It looks the same pattern that was left in a car that a full-size Chipmunk taxied into at my home airfield a few years ago, luckily no injuries but the car and Chipmunk were not very well!!

I suffered a bad cut to my right thumb when I was 15 from a 3.5 cc Rivers diesel, it was just one slice but it needed 10 stitches to mend it. I'm still very wary of running props.

GB

And as said it's the wrong hand. That looks more like a rotary meat cutter to me. And I saw it on a car forum as being someone who caught their hand on the radiator fan.....

A propeller would simply not cause that type of injury. The edges are way too clean, neat and regular. Even a moderately sharp knife would struggle to get a wound edge that clean.

We should be careful, but that does appear to be scare mongering.

OOOOOooooo Thats proper grim....

People DO see tham as TOYS... ???!! I don't get it...

My neighbours 7yr old came to watch me fly my Edge profile (36" 175W on 8 x 4) the other week.. I was already up, when he appeared at my side in the field.. (Dad was at the gate)

He was asking EVERYTHING, and enjoying watching, when suddenly he said

"If you fly it low, can I catch it.?"

EErrrr NO.. !!

I explained to him, that it was actually Knives, going round at 20 THOUSAND times a minute, and I think he got the picture..!!

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 07/09/2011 11:31:11

The marks on his arm are reminiscent of what I got on my thigh many years back when my unrestrained model revved up as my starter cord snagged on my trannie's throttle lever when I was kneeling in front of it. But I agree, the hand damage doesn't look right ...

But, whatever, it's a salutory reminder of the hazards. Needless to say, I and all of my club members use model restraints these days. But we still get one or two relatively minor injuries from hands or fingers encountering moving props.

I saw that happen to someone else a few years back. He was squatting in front of the model, started it up. While he did have a restraint he had made the mistake of allowing the model to roll backwards during a prolonged starting session. Of course when it did start it lurched forward. Lacerated his inner thighs very nastily. But as we all said "another couple of inches and it could have been much worse"!!

BEB