DB 1/4 Scale Blackburn Monoplane

Seamus O'Leprosy

Advert

I'll have know I have many friends

And now Seamus is one of them!

No don't have the kit - but I do have the plan! Apparently DB are about to relaunch the kit - if not in time then I could have a word with those nice Belair or SLEC folks and get them to laser cut me a set of wing ribs at else - I hate cutting out wing ribs! Having said that it does have a pretty parallel wing so I could use the old "sandwich" method.

BEB

I am thinking of a 26cc petrol and a large prop. I think the original plan has a .60 two stroke!
I was considering wing warping and due to all the rigging etc will probably stick to 3ch and hope my left thumb dosent go to sleep.
It might sound mad but I am going to use twin servos for the elevatior and might put a taileron mix on a switch and see what happens.
Have you flown one?
Seamus.

yes i have, mine had an old 22 zenoha, it was a lot of fun, but only on calm days, the mention of a 10cc on the plan was the point of dont underpower it, nice big fine pitch prop, it doesnt do anything, just steers around looking magificent, tailerons sound interesting, the elevators where very responsive, the rudder just made it stall around the corners, i had my fun with it, and sold it on, i have an outlet for this kind of thing for hanging up on display,

• 1 month later...
Hello Seamus and others
I´ve read your ideas and questions with interest, since I also want to build a Blackburn Monoplane. I bought the DB kit when I was in England 25 years ago. It´s still there. But I want to design a more scale like 30 % model or so. I took some fotos at Old Warden then, but if there is anybody out there who has got detailled information for me, please let me know.
As for your models: I am very interested in those old planes and have experimented a lot with wing warping and so on. Meanwhile I fly my third stand off scale REP vickers - successfully at last. It spans 2,5 m and is powered by a Saito 170 R3 engine. It´s my first model with wing warping that flies really well. I used the RAF 15 section and built in about 2 degrees of incidence, 3 degrees of dihydral on each side. There is about 0,5 degree of wash out (? = tips raised), too. If you build such a model like the full size aircraft and install a closed-loop system which is pulled from underneath the fuselage, you will get enormous adverse yaw, forcing your model the wrong way when applying "aileron". So how did I overcome that problem? I built in TWO servos for wing warping, one for each wing. Thus you can progamme only a third of "up aileron" on "down aileron" or so on your transmitter. Besides, this helps to increase pull from the top. It works really nicely.
The RAF 15 performs really well, too: The model climbs at full throttle, but you can easily control that with a bit of down elevator. Stall is no problem and the speed range of the model is OK. It flies like an aeroplane, not like a kite. So I have decided to use the same ideas and techniques on my bigger Blackburn Monoplane, which is yet to be designed.