What caravan?

Steve W-O

I'm thinking of getting a cheap van for weekend getaways.

Been watching on ebay, and several ones that seem sound have gone for just over 1k.

Not looking for a new one, but have a few criteria
Ideal year would be 1990-1995

(prices are right)

Five berth
Single axle
Length (total) about 21'
Maximum all up weight 1250kg (pref less)
Must not have any damp or spongy wood, or rust in the chassis
Must have an awning
Must have cassette toilet
Must have heater (pref gas and mains)
Must have water heater, pref mains and gas
Must have oven and at least 3 burner hob
Everything must work, appliances windows plumbing etc
Cosmetics (ie minor dings, gel coat cracks, decals coming off, paint dull) not too important

I don't know the vans in the UK , and not many people I know have them, so any comments or opinions on the different makes would be appreciated, as would an things I need to look out for and check.

Advert

Posted by ken anderson. on 19/09/2011 19:21:47:

here's what i (we) use a 3 berth 'eriba triton'made by hymer....2004 model......check them out via google.......

ken anderson.... ne ...1..... tin box dept..

Edited By ken anderson. on 19/09/2011 19:22:37

Looks nice. I had a pop-up in SA, I haven't seen any advertised here.

We would have to have a five berth, the baby won't be small for long, they seem to grow.

There are quite a few on ebay, but I will have to wait unless they are willing to deliver (many sellers are, at a cost of course) as I am waiting for the tow hitch to arrive, then I still have to fit it, and I like to fit relays and fuses on all the feeds, so it will take a couple of weekends.

And before anyone complains that this is off-topic I should make two points clear.

1. We are in a similar position. We have sold our little van (van not caravan) in order to get a larger one that will tow a caravan for the two of us.

2. We will use the Caravan (towed by the van) to visit (on-topic) shows and other flying sites.

So any suggestions of good signs and things to avoid are welcome.

Plummet

Posted by Plummet on 19/09/2011 19:48:37:
And before anyone complains that this is off-topic I should make two points clear.

1. We are in a similar position. We have sold our little van (van not caravan) in order to get a larger one that will tow a caravan for the two of us.

2. We will use the Caravan (towed by the van) to visit (on-topic) shows and other flying sites.

So any suggestions of good signs and things to avoid are welcome.

Plummet

If there is only two of you, you can travel in luxury!

So far I am leaning towards the Abi, nice layouts and fairly low towing weights.

Search ebay for abi 2 berth, and there are plenty of nice ones.

I guess van and van could get confusing

How can it be off topic? It is the general chat area, and most of what is here as nothing to do with flying.

I am looking for things to avoid or things that are an advantage with reference to the various makes, I think general checks are pretty much the same for all makes, except the special points or faults found commonly on a particular make.

I have to be careful, as if I was to put a used car on a hoist, and give it a good check, and check everything else, i would never buy a used car! it is easy to find faults that really don't matter and put yourself off.

If you get a relatively new van make sure you obtain the CRIS registration form from the seller and that the Vin number matches the numbers that are etched onto the windows & chassis (DO NOT ACCEPT ANY EXCUSES e.g I will post it to you)
Try to keep the weight difference between car & caravan at /or below 85%
remember that different speed limits apply when you are towing.
I can recommend Bailey`s,I have had two over the last 6 years (admittedly 28 foot twin axle) but they were both excellent.
what are you using as a towing vehicle ?

Posted by Eric Powell on 20/09/2011 01:56:49:
If you get a relatively new van make sure you obtain the CRIS registration form from the seller and that the Vin number matches the numbers that are etched onto the windows & chassis (DO NOT ACCEPT ANY EXCUSES e.g I will post it to you)
Try to keep the weight difference between car & caravan at /or below 85%
remember that different speed limits apply when you are towing.
I can recommend Bailey`s,I have had two over the last 6 years (admittedly 28 foot twin axle) but they were both excellent.
what are you using as a towing vehicle ?

I can't justify a recent model, buying an older one means minimum loss if the idea doesn't work, and if it does work, the loss will be minimal upgrading.

The kerb weight of the vehicle (Sportage) is 1500kg, hence my limit of 1250, 85%, though I would prefer less, though with a limit of 60mph, 85% isn't too bad.

I did notice that many of vans I looked at were CRIS registered, and noted on the excuses

I will look at Baileys, 28' would only just fit on one side of my drive, and I want to park it on the other side, which means some tight space pushing, and twin axles are a dog to push in a small space. I may end up putting dollys under the wheels to push it sideways anyway.