Tony Nijhuis 45" spitfire build (first for donkys years!)

mightypeesh

Hi, youve some good schemes in your album. I like the one with the invasion stripes. Might have to do a spit with a bubble canopy, just to get it out of my system! If this one flies well (It is my first build for years) then I might adapt the TN plan to accommodate the bubble canopy. Cheers, Simon

I found a racing red Spit with a black stripe and bubble canopy and clipped wings apparently the clipped wing was used as a low level fighter was supposed to be quicker into rolls and other maneuvers so it made a good pylon racer ,but the pic wouldn't let me download ,It was beautiful really looked the business , I am going to make two Spits one RAF blue , recon Spit with the invasion strips and same canopy as yours ,and one with clipped wings and a bubble canopy ,Problem is don't know how ,I would guess I will have to make a former to the shape (less the thickness of the plastic canopy ) ,I have searched the forum looking for a method that has been posted but no luck ,can you tell me where I can find out how to make a canopy ( A NEW SKILL )

Edited By David Bess on 31/01/2012 16:20:43

Edited By Tim Mackey on 31/01/2012 17:59:30

Simon - that's fantastic - I wonder if you can guess what I ordered off eBay? Yep a pattern tracer! ?2.10 well spent I hope! Looked all over town for one but no luck. If anyone else is seeking one search for tracing wheel rather than pattern tracer.

David - I reckon you could make a canopy by heat shrinking a plastic bottle over a balsa former. If you hunt around on YouTube you will find at least one demonstration of how to do it. If you can't find one pm me and I'll try and point you in the right direction. I'm told it takes a bit of practice but the raw material is free so...

A lot of the bubble canopy spits are Griffon engined, and I think the nose is a bit longer. It would be worth extending the fuselage sides as it will help with the cofg which is always going to be a challenge on a spitfire.

Wow never thought of bottles well worth a try , and you are correct the red Spit racer was a Griffion so I will CK it out on line shouldn't be too difficult to find a spec. there is so much published about the different Spits . Been eying my Yamaha guitar that I don't use and just about convinced myself to sell it to get me started on my Spits it was 800 quid new and as good as the day I bought it ,would sell it for the right price , driving me nuts not been able to get started ,Gota do it ,I will phone a few music shops and see what they offer me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFapCdlEpbo I found this a utube showing how to make canopy from clear plastic ,he uses sheet plastic but I am sure clear plastic bottles would work fine , there is all-so a vid showing how to make a cheap vacuum box using a house hold vacuum cleaner ,could be used to make awkward shaped access hatches ,I think that most plastics would shape with this method HOPE THE LINK WORKS (OOPS LINK DONT WORK YOU WILL HAVE TO COPY AND PAST)

Edited By David Bess on 31/01/2012 21:36:12

David - this is the video I saw. A club night with a demonstration! I reckon you might take issue with his first statement given a previous post!

I reckon you would be able to do this with a balsa mould, though you may need to seal it and paint it.

It might be worth thinking about whether there is another design about the same size which migth allow you to buy a bubble canopy. Lots of designs had very similar canopy shapes. P51 P47 Typhoon etc.

He is correct a few days to learn 3 chords and you can play something ,but years to play well. The guy on utube made a balsa former ,heated a sheet of plastic and stretched it over his well carved former and bingo a perfect canopy , I just heated an empty ketchup container the squeeze one and formed it over the end of a 3/4 dowel and it formed just fine ,it shrinks a bit and goes harder and probably more brittle but thats no prob Now I have Tim on my case so I had best go and swat up

hI Graham, good luck with the wheel. I have got a couple of them which are slightly different sizes, which give different spacings on the dots, glad to be of use though. Hi David, good to see you are playing with thermo-forming. the 2ltr water bottles might be your best bet for a source of plastic though, the cheaper the better. I am looking to get the fuse and tail paneled up today, so will post later. Cheers, Simon

Hi David. great shots, really show off the rivet and panel lines, and also what bad paint jobs they really had!

I have got the fuse panelled and 'riveted' now, and have added some foil tape dtails that, once painted will be rubed over to expose some bare metal. also I have used a hole punch set to make up small disks to act as details, and added rivet detail to them with the end of a mechanical pencil.

I have had this roll for donkys years. Cannot even remember where it came from. You can get it in wickes though.

bit of foiling.

about two hours work on the top bit. proabably spent around two days in total doing these details on the wings and fuse, very enjoyable though!  I did it in three stages - top, then sides and then the underside.

looking good.

Oh yes!

I am sooo pleased how this is looking. Next is to get the contol suface horns fitted, make some doors for the retracts, fit a bit of cockpit detail and find some paint. I ordered a full set of decals today from Pyramid Models. Have a look a look at their website, it great. I will post some pics when they turn up. Cheers,

Edited By mightypeesh on 04/02/2012 19:00:23

Looks great won't be long now , I am getting excited about seeing the paint job (,and yes it is a sad paint job on the Bubble Spit did you notice the flat Tyre on the rear wheel ) the foil looks good and I like the service points in foil ,your camera takes quite good detail the pics stand up to been blown up ,I think all your attention to detail is gona pay off when she is panted ,love it mate ,I sorted out posting pics , The blank post is because I deleted the pics from my album and they disappeared on the post so I put them back; for gods sake don't delete your build pics from your album ,I'm gona need em Keep up the good work waiting for the next installment

Thanks chaps. I found the article from RCME that I got some of these ideas from. Another of Tony Nijhuis's columns called 'riviting stuff' from september 2011 issue, well worth seeking out. In the previous issue (i think) he shows adding pva rivets and how to make a neat tool to do the job. I will be trying that on a bigger model at some point. The camera that I use is my trusty Canon 450d with standard lens. I take a lot of pics and am never dissapointed with the quality and the control that the DSLR gives over compact cameras.

Snowed in..........better stick some bits of scrap together then!!

Just a bit of detail for the office, depron, blue foam and balsa.

1.5gms including primer.

Hi gents. Bit of painting going on in the office. Not perfect, but looking good for a first go.

I am going to add some straps to the mask, and soften the eyes a bit...

also made a 'vague scale' reflective gun sight....

looks keen to get out and about....

the light is going fast!!!

The decals that I ordered from Pyramid Models turned up as well. I have decided to use Humbrol acrylics for the colours, and have dusted off the compressor and airbrush in readyness.

I need to do a few bits and pieces before paintng, but I am so looking forwards to it.

cheers, Simon

Ps. Yes I know I have now got a english pilot in vague RAF uniform flying a French Navy Seafire, but I changed my reference aircraft after I had made him. He did do french at school, and even went on a daytrip to France once, so he should be OK. Mmmmmmmm

Hi david. Yep I have gone French. I have only seen this scheme in static models, so went for it. I ordered the decals from Pyramid. I sent him a list of what I needed, and he came back with a price of £12.00 plus post. I ordered on sat and i got them friday. great service!
I will post the application of them when I get to it.

Well worth 12 quid ,I had a look at pyramid seems a good service I will use them , it's nice to be able to add that extra unique touch and detail , you know I will be totally green with envy when I see your Spit in all it's livery ( I think that's how to spell livery ?) Like your style buddy