recommend an easily progammable transmitter

could anyone recoomend an easily programmable 2.4 transmitter for using on a 4 servo wing. I have a FutabaT6EX which will allow flaps and elevator mixing but I'd like to move up to a 4servo wing with progressive crow breaking controlled on the throttle stick.There are so many transmitters out there! I currently fly a middle phase,moth and easy glider but aspire to a 4 servo glass machine.

Advert

I achieved everything I needed to, fulfilling your criteria, with the Spektrum DX7 that I already had - but due to the clunky software interface, programming was a tedious nightmare.

Then I moved across to the touch-screen Hitec Aurora 9, and this is genuinely iPod easy. Although the set-up and measuring still takes time, the initial programming for a 6 servo mouldie with all the flappy bits takes 20 minutes, instead of a day. Every one of the core requirements are pre-programmed and can be sorted without touching any of the P.Mix's. For cold, wet flying on the slope, the standard, built-in telemetry RX pack voltage monitoring is a big bonus.

Ro.

Its pretty hard to recommend a complete 2.4g system, based on just that criteria - theres so many other factors to consider, such as extra features, tray /strap, telemetry, cost of receivers and the general feel and quality that you may require etc.
As RGPuk says re: DX7, its possible to do most things with most sets, but with sets like the MPX and top range JRs setting up 4 servo wings is relatively easy compared to the more "budget" stuff.

To be honest I think this question is almost unanswerable! (A first for the Forum ) Although I'm sure many will have a go - including me!

You see you're probably going to get a lot of responses that amount to: "I've used brand X for 20 years - it has the best and easiest programming you'll ever find. The other day I picked up my mates brand Y - boy I couldn't make head nor tail of it".

You see its all a question of what you are used to. I basically use Futaba gear and have a 8FG. But I also have a Spektrum 6Xi. Which is better? Well you have to make allowances for the fact that the Futaba is a much more expensive transmitter - with far more sophisticated features. So we're not really comparing like with like to start off with! But my honest view is that some things are easier on the Spektrum while others are easier on the Futaba. Neither of them are perfect - neither of them are bad.

In the past there were a few Transmitters the manuals for which were so bad, and the programming interface so obtuse, that they were really difficult to use and we even reached the point of having 3rd part after market "manuals" for some to try and explain how to program them!

But I think those days are behind us. These days all the main manufacturers make a reasonable stab at producing a programmable device which is useable and has a at least an adequete manual. I think you take your pick - largely on other criteria as Tim has suggested - and dedicate yourself to carefully reading the manual and mastering the system you have.

BEB

Posted by Tim Mackey on 28/09/2011 09:35:32:
Its pretty hard to recommend a complete 2.4g system, based on just that criteria - theres so many other factors to consider, such as extra features, tray /strap, telemetry, cost of receivers and the general feel and quality that you may require etc.
As RGPuk says re: DX7, its possible to do most things with most sets, but with sets like the MPX and top range JRs setting up 4 servo wings is relatively easy compared to the more "budget" stuff.

That's all fair comment. The choice of available kit is extensive and some hands-on comparison is essential to find the one you will want to live with.

I deliberately made cost no restriction for my choice and still bought the Aurora 9, whose TX and RX combo price of less than 300 quid is classed by many as being at the mid-budget end of things - but this perception belies it's feel, quality and massive flexibility. The A9 deals totally with all my slope kit, from F3F, sport mouldies to foam blobs, as well as providing everything my power machines require too.

The addition of the Minima RX's to the Optima range, plus aggressive pricing, has made the change from Spekky very cost effective. The Spekky RX's have mostly sold secondhand for the same price as their new Hitec replacements.

Another big tick (for me) for the A9, has been it's more and more frequent appearances on the slopes, in the hands of some notable F3F competitors.

Ro.

I read that the JR 9303 was/is popular with glider pilots. The DSX9 is a progression of it I believe so I bought one earlier this year.

I've not set up a four servo wing with it yet but it's well covered in the manual. The channels get re-allocated in a certain way to make it all work.

A feature that attracted me to it is the five 'Flight modes' that are achieved through using two switches. Selecting a particular flight mode moves the controls to preset positions and applies exponential settings, mixes etc. The modes are launch, cruise, land, speed and thermal I think.

I'm not particularly brand loyal, I used Futaba for years, still use a FF6 occasionally and a Spektrum DX7 (which is virtually the same as the JR X2610 but in 2.4 flavour!). The DX7 can be made to run a four servo wing (there is a guide on the net somewhere) but it's very complicated.

The DSX9 is DSM2 and compatible with the Spektrum receivers which works well for me as I already had models using them.

The manual is available online but you can't beat twiddling the switches in your hand and actually setting a model up, I've programmed 18 different types of model with it now (V-tails, elevons, flaperons, gliders, power, electric etc) and found it a pleasure to use.

A small negative is that it needs a neck strap balancer as it was originally designed with a long 35 meg aerial. The neck strap attachment can loosen and swing the adaptor towards the top of the transmitter if any side load is put on it. A tiny spot of cyano stops it coming undone .

A reported problem that I have not experienced is the display screen misting up on the inside, might be from laying it down on damp grass so I'm careful to lay it on a glider wing on the slope or back in the car at the club field.

GB

I suppose the starting point is to consider what features you will need, and then find a TX with those features where the programming suits your mind set.

For a four servo wing mouldie you will need-

Crow breaking with elevator compensation, and the elevator compensation ideally being on a multi point mix so that a lot of compensation comes in initially and then it slows down as more crow is applied.

At least three flight modes of normal (sometimes called cruise), thermal, and speed.

Ailerons linked to flaps so that the camber or reflex in each flight mode is full wing.

Flaps linked to ailerons for increased roll rate.

Adjustable aileron differential for each flight mode - thermal mode needs less aileron differential to reduce the risk of tip stall.

Snap flap where the flaps (and preferably ailerons too) are linked to elevator movement. Ideally, this should also be on a multi point mix so that the snap flap only comes in for the last, say, 20% of elevator movement.

The DX7 will just cope with this yet it uses all six programmable mixes and does not have any multi point mixes - I have a program for the DX7 if you need it.

I changed to a DSX9 which will cope with all the above yet does dot have any fancy touch screen programming or telemetry.

Some of my colleagues have the Aurora 9 and are very pleased with it.

Edited By Peewhit on 28/09/2011 13:06:23

• 2 weeks later...