Obeche / Obechi Veneer

Hi

I'm going to have a go at making my own veneered foam wings. I have found a local stockist of obeche the sheets are 3m x 200mm x 1.2mm.

I've seen 0.8mm thickness talked about, will 1.2mm be OK?

Cheers

Simon

The obeche veneer i used on several models seems to measure 1.12 mm ( its difficult to be accurate on such soft material ) which is near enough to 1.2 to make no difference.

But it depends on the size of the model and whether weight is critical. As your supply is only 200mm it may not be wide enough to use on many models as it needs to be wide enough to cover with one piece. One piece top and another on the underside that is.
3 metres is too long ( too vulnerable ) and 200 mm too narrow in my view. Look for offcuts which are nearer to 700mm by 300mm or so depending on the model. Must not have cracks or faults. Invariably wings are made in 2 halves then joined and fibreglass bandage over the centre section.
Note that the americans always use balsa which is edge jointed to make a large enough width before covering.  But this might be much more expensive.

Edited By kc on 04/10/2011 11:01:03

An alternative that was or is used in the USA is 1/16" balsa sheet. I think it is a question of cost as to why the UK and the USA use the respective materials.

Another alternative, often used on Blue foam was wrapping paper used for presents, right through to Brown Parcel Paper and thin card. I think anything which takes tension, on the paper skins, seems to be used, the compression forces seem to rely on the foam itself to resist. It was common on the Wonder Wings Pheonix 100s to cover with present paper (Christmas paper seemed astypical) onto the Blue Foam, varnishing the finished paper. I have seen wrapping paper on white foam, I would guess it was about 50" span, although I suspect that pine spars had been let in, together with a balsa TE and LE (it was a long time ago, I do not remember to much of the detail now).

Thanks for the replies, I went up to Reif & Sons in Altrincham today and they found they had 1/2 a bundle (12 sheets) of 0.8mm which is what I was after!!

The 3 meter lengths will probably get cut down and as for 200mm I should have typed 250mm! I agree 200mm is to narrow.

Cheers

Simon