6EXA 35mhz.

Terence Lynock

Advert

Check-out the FrSky Hack module 2.4 conversion, I convert an old Field Force 7 to 2.4 some time ago and it works perfectly, GiantCod and others stock them, I think it only cost about £24 for the module and 8 channel rx at the time. There is a little bit of soldering involved but only 3 wires as far as I remember.

Edited By YakMad on 07/10/2011 08:36:06

Hmmm. I'd seen the two-way stuff and then moved on

So, it does involve soldering but not so much. It looked like a tidy job on the outside but do these things really leave the TX in an approved state ? I've seen that some other (thinking about Spektrum here) changes don't.

There is also the Assan tx hack that may be worth considering. It fits in a Multiplex Evo tx ok, (I bought one and tried it), and I believe there are a few quoted examples of people converting various Futaba tx’s ok. It seems to conform to all the various specs., plus it’s FCC, CE and RoS approved. There is a great deal of info. on the Assan site and an email to them gets a very prompt response. Or at least it did in my case. The connections to the MPX tx PCB are not even soldered, they simply push onto 3 existing square pins. As does everything else within the MPX, it makes it very user friendly, for instance you can fit an extra switch in seconds. When I did a quick temporary lash-up I really couldn’t believe how quickly it bound the rx to the tx. Instantaneous! I appreciate that’s not everything by any means, but it certainly does inspire confidence as a kick off!

I have mentioned before, have a colleague that really looked into the Assan system and couldn’t fault it, he converted a FF9 with a Assan module quite a while back, and it’s been 100% reliable. I can quite understand why there is reluctance to put total faith in a cheapy lump of radio gear, I feel the same way myself, but having quite comprehensively given some of the considered bottom-of-the-price-range 35 MHz receivers a good bashing which they invariably passed with flying colours, I’m sure that at least in some cases the inexpensive kit can be as good as the premium sets. I think we are approaching the point where we will commit it to any model.

By coincidence, I did a little performance test recently, 2.4Ghz Rx antenna and Tx positions? and whilst perhaps not in anyway very definitive, as far as I’m concerned in a practical way I won’t have any concerns about lack of range, or any form of interference,

I think it would be rather opportune moment if the BMFA made some sort of statement on these add-on radios now. At the moment if you asked them what the ruling is, I’m sure you would get some very non-committal answer. Such as ‘you take upon yourself the legal responsibility of making sure that your equipment operates properly’. The implications here don’t sound good, but compliance with CE authorisation might cover it perhaps. I don’t think they can actually say point blank they cannot be used, it’s possible they don’t have any good reasons to be able to this anyway. So to make some noises of encouragement would help, in fact the whole 2.4 concept could perhaps do with some new guidelines, 35 MHz is now fast becoming a thing of the past, it seems to me anyway.

PB

Edited By Peter Beeney on 07/10/2011 15:59:47

Posted by Terence Lynock on 06/10/2011 19:42:01:
Is there any way to convert a 6EXA 35mhz to 2.4 giggleherts?.

Here's one I did earlier using one of THESE modules from Giant Cod. Been using this on the slope for some time now and absolutely no problems.
Cost of conversion? Less than £15.
Time taken? An hour or so would do it.
The FrSky conversion is exactly the same.

Fitting the Corona DIY 2.4 Ghz unit into a Futaba T6EXA 35Mhz.

1: Remove the crystal.

2: Remove the four screws that attach the back transmitter case half to the front case half. As you open the case reach in and disconnect the battery. Just leave it in the back half of the case.

3: Once you have the case open, you will see the RF board sitting on 4 pins. It's the board with the trainer connector. Pull the RF board off its’ mounting pins being careful not to tear out the wires.

4: Cut the red power lead to VCC3 at the connection point on the RF board and join it to the power wire (+) of the 2.4 module. This removes the power to the RF board and redirects it to the hack module.

5: Cut the white wire to the MOD connection point on the RF board and join to the banded end of a Schottky Diode . Join the PPM signal wire of the 2.4 hack module to the other end of the diode. This redirects the PPM source signal from the Tx RF board to the one from hack module and protects the hack module from being over powered by the PPM source voltage from the Tx.

6: Solder the negative (-) wire of the hack module to one of the GND pads on the RF board, one can be found below the VCC3 & MOD connections on the RF board. This provides a negative feed for the hack module.

7: Fit the LED/Switch PCB with 2 screws on face below the aerial outlet . Removed the 35 Meg aerial, reduce the depth of the aerial socket on the case to accept the new aerial lead socket.

8: Solder wire from aerial onto aerial connection point on hack module.

9: Replace cover and battery.

NB. Make sure all connections are soldered and covered with heat shrink.

Bind receiver to transmitter following Corona instructions.

Edited By Devon Flyer on 07/10/2011 17:31:00

Edited By Devon Flyer on 07/10/2011 17:32:31

Thanks Guys, after reading this thread and looking at the hack modules on the Giant Cod site I have resurrected a Futaba 6EXAP.
The 35MHz 6EX had a RF fault and was gathering dust under the bench.
I decided to test the 2.4GHz FrSky V8 conversion (hack) module.
It (and a receiver) arrived this morning. Just 3 cables to disable, 3 wires to solder and 2 holes to drill. Half an hour later and after binding to the FrSky receiver, a successful range test was completed.
Just need it to stop raining for a flight test.
The instruction sheet states CE compliance.
I’m a Sprektrum convert but If you are on 35MHz with a Futaba 6EX then at £11.55 for the module and with receivers starting at £10.78 then this is a budget way into 2.4GHz.

Earlier this year I converted a Spektrum DX6 Tx to FrSky using the module intended for Futaba. The reasons & method used are detailed here . An unexpected problem was identified & sorted as explained here If a "hack" module had been used instead of the Futaba module the problem would not have arisen.

The only other problem I've had was when I did a range check on my Deacon & forgot to change back to full range before taking off.

I only use this Tx for vintage & indoor models but have a Futaba FF8 with a 2 way module for larger stuff. The 2 way module has the advantage of giving a warning on low received signal & low Rx battery voltage but also warns when the range check is switch on.