SC 15 ABC Engine - Any Good?

Tony H

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to design and build my own little low wing plane for a 0.15 size IC Engine.

Has anyone had any experience with the SC15 engine is it any good? I have seen mixed reviews about it. Some say it has poor reliability and conks out in flight, other's have said the idle is very poor but it is okay and full throttle?

Sometimes wonder if it's the Engine or the owner with the problem.

Please let me know your experiences with this little engine.

Thanks

Tony H

Advert

Thanks guys,

I've picked one up from my Local Model Shop today and tried it out in the garden in a vice. It took a while to get it going though, I tried it with a Medium heat F5 Model techics glow plug with no joy then I put an OS A3 (hot) glow plug in and unscrewed the High speed mix needle about 3 1/2 turns out and it jumped into life.

It seems to need to run very rich (at least from new) , I've run three 4oz tanks through it now and it seems to have good throttle response, I think I will keep it running this rich for maybe the next 10 tanks after that I will try to lean it out a bit.

Kevin : Thanks for your photo, can I ask where did you get the Nylon Engine mount? I've been struggling to find one which fits this size engine.

Tony H

These are great little engines, especially for the price.

Effectively SC, Magnum and ASP are all the same engines, although I think ASP/Magnum have now improved the orginal series designs (all based off OS).

All these engines come from the factory set on a rich setting. I have a SC 52 2 Stroke, Magnum 52 XLS 2 stroke, ASP 61 FS and ASP 91 FS - all had to be leaned out on both high and low speed needles by quite a bit, once they had been broken in.

Never had any issues with any of the above engines, very relieable. As you said Tony, I think many of the 'issues' are user related with people who can't seem to stop adjusting the needles all the time or have the tank too high/low in relation to the carb.

Posted by Tony H on 20/10/2011 15:13:05:

Thanks guys,

I've picked one up from my Local Model Shop today and tried it out in the garden in a vice.

IN A VICE.......????!!!!!! May the Gods of Model Engineering strike you down Tony.....

Never, never, never hold an engine in a vice for two reasons....one..its not very secure....two putting pressure across the crankcase in this way is simply asking for trouble....you could distort the crankcase or even crack it.......

To the naughty step with you & write out 100 times "I will only bolt my engines to perfectly flat square & parallel engine bearers from this day forth for this is the way to true model engineering enlightenment"

Thanks Steve,

I'm aware that it wasn't the best Idea, I usually use a purpose built engine test stand, but on this occasion the engine was too small for it and I didn't have any mounts small enough either.

It wasn't a engineering metal vice I used it was a wooden woodwork vice, even so I am unlikely to do it again, just in case I damage the crankcase.

I will only bolt my engines to perfectly flat square & parallel engine bearers from this day forth for this is the way to true model engineering enlightenment

I will only bolt my engines to perfectly flat square & parallel engine bearers from this day forth for this is the way to true model engineering enlightenment

Edited By Tony H on 21/10/2011 18:35:14

• 3 years later...

I've bought an sc .15 for another mini jazz  I'm building,

It was a lot to start but I got it running about 2 turns out, any more and it was spluttering, throttle response was a bit slow too.

What settings are you running? I'm new to ic and have an acrowot with an os .46 that starts first flick and runs like a dream.

Ian.