Wing fairings

fly boy3

Hi all. I have a slight gap between the top of foam wing, and and the bottom of the wing cut out on fuz. on my O/D low winger. It could be taken up by wing seating tape I think. Is there an easy way of making wing fairings, if so, is balsa, or thin ply utilized. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 22/10/2011 20:06:34

I suggest you confirm the wing incidence is correct before proceeding. Could it be the wing bandage is stopping the wing going into the correct position.

Someone should answer with wing fairing info surely? I have not used fairings but all the plans seem to show a thin ply base. 1/64 cross grain probably

When I have done this in the past I have simply worked with sheets of A4 and a pair of fine scissors, (from SWMBO's sewing box!), to get the correct profile and then as KC suggested cut that from thin ply.

You will need to take some 1/16 or 1/32 sheet from the edge of the fairing to the fuselage side to give the fairing some strength.

Hi Fly Boy, Mix some car body filler, smear it on to the wing seat on the fuz..Put some cling film on top, firmly fix the wing in place and leave overnight

Remove the wing, remove the cling film, and trim off excess filler, and ...voila a perfect fit

ernie

If you didnt allow for the thickness of the wing bandage & fibreglass, the extra thickness at the front pushes the wing back a bit and it no longer fits all the way along. Just get the incidence right and ensure it is held firmly at the dowel and the wing bolts.