Seagull Pilatus B4

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Well...........after much faffing about, with my initial order being 'lost' in transit at the DPD depot, I have finally taken delivery of a B4.
Initial impressions seem good. Usual Seagull build quality and covered with Oracover. Wings are built up and sheeted.
Hopefully will be starting the 'build' this weekend.

DF

Edited By Devon Flyer on 09/11/2011 18:06:32

Just spent 1/2 hour, or so, reading the build 'manual' and checking over all the bits and pieces, just to get a clear view in my mind of how it goes together.

I feel I must say that this model has just about the worst instructions I have ever come across ( and I've put a fair few together, believe me!). I find this odd, as previous Seagull ARTFs I've built have had fairly good instructions with them.This one has misleading references, duplicated pictures, missing descriptions, large amounts of missing text and huge gaps in the build process. It would probably have been better not to have supplied any instructions at all.
Now, I know that anyone contemplating one of these ARTFs would most likely be a pretty experienced aeromodeller; as I doubt a novice would tackle a beast such as this - but come on guys, we deserve better!

Fortunately, the rest of the kit looks pretty good.

Made a start this afternoon.
First thing to do, after careful scrutiny of the fuz, was to beef up the area between F3 & F4.
As supplied, this is very flimsy, being sheeted with one skin of 1/16 balsa. It is also in an area that is most likely to get scuffed when landing. The areas in front are a lot stiffer, being much smaller and more out of harms way. The area to the rear of F4 is protected from most ground contact by the main landing wheel.
I decided to add another skin of 1/16 balsa into the vulnerable bays and also add 1/4 square stringers between F3 & F4 to beef it up. End result is a LOT sturdier and should (hopefully) be less likely to be damaged when landing.

Elevator servo fitted. 2.5Kg Tower Pro MG should do the job. I've used these before on 2 other gliders and they are fine. Had to pack out the mounting as these servos are slightly smaller than a standard 'mini' servo.
Servo screwed in place and bedded on hot glue - to be sure, to be sure.
Servo rod using adjustable link at servo end and Z bend at elevator horn.

Supplied elevator horn was ditched in favour of one of Stan Yeo's bolt through type. Supplied horn just screws into balsa !! Will be using bolt through type on ailerons as well. Dab of thin cyano on bolt ends to secure the nuts.

Rear end finished and cover plate installed.

Heavy duty Rx switch installed. I will be running this plane off a 2200mAh 3s Lipo and an SBEC from BRC Hobbies. When installing the switch I took the time to double skin the rest of the lower fuselage, as best I could, between F2 & F3. Switch mounting is a lot more solid than it would have been and now the front of the fuz is a lot sturdier than standard, for very little weight gain.

Well, that's the fuz pretty much done. Start on the wings next......................

Edited By Devon Flyer on 16/11/2011 19:28:49

Aileron servos mounted and wired in.

Aileron horns bolted in.

Aileron servo installation complete.
2 strips of Diamond tape used to secure hatch screws.

Air brake servos fitted and connected up.

Everything connected up and colour coded.

Wing mounting bolt with cover removed.

And cover in place.

Ready to go.........just needs final setting up and balancing. Feels like it will need about 1/2 lb or thereabouts, in the nose.

Finished her off today.
Set up throws, rates and expo.
Balanced her up - needed 11oz in the nose.
Applied stickers and then double checked everything.
All up weight is 5lb 6oz ready to fly, which I reckon feels fairly light - could be a bit of a floater - we shall see.

Now - when is the weather going to play?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Matthew Lloyd on 29/11/2011 11:25:47:
I want to know about the maiden! C'mon - get her up there - I'm tempted to buy one of these

Might be waiting for a while.
High winds again this coming weekend - so she'll stay in the hangar.
I'm waiting for a 15mph South or North West before I maiden it. Then I can do it on a slope with a good landing area and plenty of 'land out' area.

• 2 months later...
Posted by Devon Flyer on 09/11/2011 17:55:41:
Well...........after much faffing about, with my initial order being 'lost' in transit at the DPD depot, I have finally taken delivery of a B4.

Edited By Devon Flyer on 09/11/2011 18:06:32

I reckon this is the original one I ordered that got lost in transit.
I wonder where it went?
Might be a bargain for someone?

• 1 year later...

Aerotowed the Seagull Pilatus B4 for its maiden flight. Had to add right trim and found it was slightly tail heavy. The flight was a dream, the model just did not want to come down, climbing on light lift with a superb slow gliding angle. On using the air brakes for the first time found that the model dived fairly steeply and slowly so added some up elevator on the mix from the third flight..I found that I could place two 4.8v square battery packs in parallel in the nose space and the lead needed to achieve the CG fitted beneath the battery space. The decalage from the factory was + 8 deg so fitted a balsa spacer between the tailplane and the fin to reduce it to +1 deg. The front captive nut to secure the elevator was missing and could be heard rattling in the fuselage, had to use a different way to secure. Performance wise very good, in fact great. The video

Hi

Just watched the video & very nice. I am just in the process of completing mine but I have a balancing question. Did you find that with the balance point at 6.5 cm from LE was correct? And if it was, how much lead did you need to add? I've got mine balanced as per instructions but I'm thinking that (based on a centre section root chord = 22 cm that 6.5 cm = 30% as stated) is too far forward and am worried that the balance point is wrong. Should maybe be a little further back at 40% (8.8.cm from LE).

Flew a Stargaze 2 at the weekend and had exactly this problem. Built as per instructions and balance point but when flying was to nose heavy and always have to use up elevator to correct so was not flying at its best. Now I've spotted someone from the Guisborough MAC saying the instructions are wrong and this was pointed out in RCME 4 / 5 years ago.

Hi Martin,

I balanced the model at the recomended CG but as you can see in the video it was slightly tail heavy.

Added 30gms and it flew perfectly (after the video). I had managed to place the weights in the nose through the gap in the bulkhead, secured with foam and glued a lollypop stick across the gap to stop any movement.

Have you changed the decalage? +8 deg is far too much. The airbrakes dived the model so some up elevator 5 clicks in the mix has solved the problem. At the end of the video that hard landing was due to the model flying too slow, it dropped out of the sky.. I should have retracted the airbrakes as in the first landing. Easy to say after the event!

I've got one and after a fellow flier who had one said the recommended balance point was the most rearward point you'd want, I balanced mine so it hung slightly nose down on the recommended balance point, flies really well at that.

My airbrakes are very good, it losses height without gaining speed but I didn't need to dial in any elevator compensation

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback.

I am feeling a bit more confident that the recommended CG is OK based on what you both say. smiley

I was also worried that I may have over loaded with lead but think I should also be OK.

Reason for this being that in the threads you mention you put in 11oz, but right up in the nose. And then later on added 30gms to get it perfect. So overall thats about 12.5 oz. In my case, the weights are slighty further back in the section between nose and first bulkhead. And I've just weighed it and can see I've put in 13 oz. So all in all we're in the same ball park. With the CG as per instructions and with 13 oz in slightly more rearward to what you have, it balances just slighly nose down.

So am now going to power on towards first flight . . . . .

Frank

Any idea how much weight you added so we can get a comparison?

Regards

Martin