Polish LOT Boeing 767 Lands Gear Up in Warsaw

Brett Jones

Just saw this on the front page of yahoo. nice landing dont you agree?

This event occurred on 01Nov2011 - The pilots of a Polish LOT airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey, discovered a problem with the landing gear before touching ground in Warsaw, Poland. They circled the 767 above the airport for about an hour before landing with landing gear up. 231 people on board.

Edited By Brett Jones on 01/11/2011 20:13:41

Advert

Well done that man. Must be funny being an airline pilot - I mean 1000's of hours of "routine" but just now and then you're really called on to earn your pay cheque!

I assume they must have sprayed the run way with water, foam or something to help keep the temperatures and the friction down?

BEB

Not so sure - it looks like smoke rater than water spray - I wonder that the fire engines were not there earlier. Was once in a plane which had to do an emergency landing (according to the pilot a "good size bird" went into one of the engines) and from half of the runway we had already 2 fire engines running on either side of the plane.

I think the days of spraying the runway with foam or water are long gone, too much cost i believe. Excellent job done by the pilots, definately earned this months paycheck. As someone whos in the job, its something you never expect. We have 3 ways to lower the gear if the unexpected should happen on what i fly, but i guess this shows that things can go wrong.

As for the fire engines usually one or two chase the aircraft down the runway with another couple staying further down so they can get to both sides of the aircraft when it comes to a stop.

When i was stationed at Leuchars back in the seventies i saw a Buccaneer come in wheels up once. The pilot dumped fuel for a while over the sea then got rid of the canopy while the fire crews foamed the runway. He then made a greaser of a landing and both crew walked away without a scratch and minimal damage to the aircraft. The crash crew arrived and in the process of jacking up the aircraft to get wheeled bogies under it managed to seriously damage the wings. They had placed the jacks under "lifting points" instead of the proper jack points. When the pilot walked away from the aircraft it was classed as Cat 2 damage, by the time it was clear of the runway it was Cat 5! The pilot was furious!