Astro Hog

Martyn K

First Flights

I maidened the Astro-Hog yesterday (Sunday).

In the process, I found one significant problem (easily rectified) that made the day very challenging. Basically, I omitted to bend the u/c legs forward so every attempt at a take off resulted in the prop eating mud. But I am a bit ahead of myself.

The CG was spot on - on the main spar which was one bit of good news. The aircraft is a bit heavier than I would have liked, 3.7Kg, the wing is 1.4kg, really a bit on the heavy side.

After the getting the engine ground running correctly (ASP61), it was time to try and get it airborne. First attempts proved that I hadn't got the engine right as it promptly died when I opened it up, so back to the pits (actually several times during the day) to perform a few tweaks. Getting it airborne was a case of full throttle, full up, then a good hard shove to get it rolling. After about 20 yards, the engine hauled the 'hog off the ground on the edge of the stall, ease off the up, get some airspeed and she was away.

I needed a bit of down trim to get it trimmed and that was all it needed.

It certainly has presence,it is a big aeroplane and looks 'period'. Certainly not modern anyway.

With the throws set so they 'look right', rolls were reasonably fast and loops fairly tight. I am not sure how fast it is, the size makes it very deceptive.

Anyway,after about 3-4 minutes, the engine died at about 250 feet up and my heart sank, I whipped it round for an approach then realised that it wasn't going to land. The glide is amazing, it just went on and on, so much in fact that I had to do another glide circuit then bring it down. It was quite breezy yesterday with the wind blowing down the strip from the west, and the strip is slightly downhill. As I overshot the strip (I said the glide was impressive), I realised that if I didn't get it down, it would be in the next field, so a bit of down and in it came, a bit faster than I would have liked. Absolutely no problem and no damage.

The second attempt needed the same take off technique, and away it went. This time the flight was about 8 minutes before the engine died again (I do need to get that sorted) but it was dream to fly, probably best described as stately. When the engine died (and with the experience from the first landing), I whipped it downwind lost height and then pulled it round very sharply into the final approach about 30 feet up . My heart sank as I realised that this was a classic stall scenario, but no worries, it just came round and this time I got it down on the strip.

No photos, my resident guru, instructor and photographer (Ian) wasn't on site, but hopefully next time.

Martyn

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I have been sent drawings for a Micro Astro Hog, it looks like it would make a great el*ctric conversion.

http://www.czd.org.uk/aeromodel/astro-hog/Plan_Astro-Hog Jr1.pdf

I also managed to get a Hoggit part kit, that is the next but one to build, the next on the board will be an own design electric powered delta. Delta-a

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 20/02/2012 21:59:41

Edited By Martyn K on 20/02/2012 22:26:41

Hi Andy

Thanks, I will, I prefer building to mending and I hope to have 3 hogs with me by Greenacres time...

I saw your note on dihederal, I can definitely say that 3" total is definitely not too little, the roll rate seemed quite axial, and it is definitely very stable.

Best wishes

Martyn