Video from the Field Today

Andy Harris

Been working on my video technique to make it more 'film' like.

Choppers and Fixed Wing from the field today - best viewed in 1080P

The Chopper uses 2 x 6S x 4400mAh, the lens are very wide angle so actually everything is very close up on the flying scenes.

It takes a fair bit of practice to get the air to air stuff good! 

Edited By Andy Harris on 12/11/2011 22:13:50

Edited By Andy Harris on 12/11/2011 22:40:04

Thanks for the replies chaps.

For the HD stuff I'm using a combination of two cameras.

The on-board camera is a stock Contour HD1080P but set for 720p/60 frames per second.

The 'ground' camera is more interesting in that it is a Panasonic GH2, however a Russian chap has managed to hack into the firmware and create a modified version that ups both the frame rate and the data rate. Mine is running at 42Mb/s.

The other mod is that I use lovely old Canon FD lenses that I buy from ebay for next to nothing.

Then I use Final Cut 'X' to pull the two video sources together, this one took about 4 hours mainly because I was using a lot of colour analysis.

Just like model flying I still have a lot to learn, to get decent footage from a camera means being able to get the right place then flying gently. For Adam it was the first time we'd strapped a camera to his heli. He is an awesome pilot and gave the thing a serious thrashing.

When I asked if he could come close in to the camera position, it was a case of inverted 30cm of the ground and about 2m in front of us -- that'll do then!

Andy

Martin

It wasn't very stressful, Adam builds helis with real diligence and is very safety aware.

There was something special about the 3 axis gyro and receiver set-up that he mentioned, he said it was very locked in and stable. I'd like to get an informal 'interview' because I reckon it'll be interesting for Heli pilots to see the set-up.