Slotting canopy rails

Danny Fenton

Thought i would pass on the method I have just tried for cutting canopy rails.

You can buy slotted 1/4" brass runners from Mick Reeves, fine if you are doing a 1/4 scale Hurricane or Spitfire.

What if you want to make a sliding canopy for a 1/6th scale model?

You can get aluminium square section tube from Maccmodels.co.uk I bought two lengths of 1/8" for the two rails on my Hurricane.

The Dremel (Rotorcraft in this case), is fitted to an old section of laminate worktop I had lying about the place (as we all nevert throw anything away do we? ) And a slitting disc fitted.

Guides are made from 1/4 ply, with slots to allow for adjustment. If you run the tube through twice, turning it around between passes, you will ensure that the slot is central.

NOTE * If you offset the cut slightly and then pass it through again with the ends swapped, you can make the slot central AND wider

I used 1/32 ply, and threaded the .8mm holes to accept 1mm machine screws, not sure what BA that would be??

The screws are adjusted to give a smooth but not slopy fit, then cut off and filed flush. The canopy is then simply glued the the ply runners.

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 13/11/2011 16:23:30

Advert

• 1 year later...