At least somebody still loves the Harrier!

Wingman

Lifted this bit from defensetech.org - wouldn't it just make you want to puke!

"We’ve all seen the news that emerged on Sunday saying that the Marines are close to buying 70 of Britain’s freshly retired Gr7/9 Harrier jump jets to keep the USMC Harrier fleet flying into the 2020s. This comes a few months after it was revealed that the Corps is slated to purchase about 80 F-35C carrier variant Joint Strike Fighters. This is clearly a hedge against delays with the F-35 program. The Marines have been all in on the JSF for years, saying that it was the future of Marine Corps tacair and that there is no plan B.

Well, just like the Navy has purchased additional F/A-18E/F Super Hornets to offset against delays in the F-35 program, the Marines are buying the Brits’ newly refurbished Harriers –which are a few years newer than the Corps’ AV-8Bs — to provide parts for their oldest Harriers and replace F/A-18D Hornet strike jets that are quickly approaching the end of their service lives."

Advert

The Harrier was just simply the best Naval multi role aircraft ever, they were awsome machines and were still way ahead of anything else in the air, I was on carriers when in the navy and still got a thrill every time one took off, that was in the days of the Phantoms and Jags etc. I cannot even begin to guess why the goverment scrapped the Harrier - BIIIG mistake in my opinion..