To slim down or not a RCM&E Whizzza

J.N.

I hope this is not viewed as the same as “how long is a piece of string”.

I am building the electric flight Whizzza from all balsa sheet, a RCM&E plan The wing is 10mm, the tail section and fuselage is 4.5mm with doublers here and there. I am aware that all up weight is important and it appears to me that there is some redundant weight due to the type of construction and would appreciate if the experts can indicate which areas to look at. I thought maybe small areas of the wing, fin, tailplane and fuselage could be removed.

hello JN.......what you would save in weight.......will be next to nothing.......i would leave as is......perhaps carefull selection of the wood will save a few grams...but nothing as such......the whizza's are sports models as such and need a bit of strength..to put up with the day to day use etc.....

ken anderson ne...1......... whizza dept...

I'm with Ken here.....the Whizza is a basic quick build sports model & designed to take a bit of rough & tumble.....I'm sure tyou could reduce the weight slightly but only by a few grams.....why bother...?

In the early days of electric flight weight really mattered & you would agonise over whether to take the case off your Rx or not to save a gram or two.....but things have changed.....we have lots of easily available power now-a-days

steve h......pr7......never thought I'd agree with ken dept...!!!

Hi JN.
If you can save weight, save it at the tail end. I ended up putting quite a bit of lead in the nose for balance, it ended up at the heavier end of the quoted range.

Still flies very well but fast and sinks like a brick when the power is off, due to the lead no doubt.

JN

As Nev says saving weight at the tail end will eliminate any need for nose weight and also that the lipo can be moved to a more convenient position away from the motor. As said before, use the lightest balsa you can find for the tailplane, fin etc. but you can also help by cutting holes in the tail surfaces as I did on one of my Whizzzas. You can just about see in this photo the ones in the fin and rudder but I also did the tailplane and elevator. I also used a lightweight covering on these surfaces (Solarfilm Lite). This didn't seem to affect strength in this area and I can assure you it got well tested (300 was watts/lb)! In fact when it did meet it's end, the tail was the only part that remained mostly intact.

Good Luck!
Worden

Posted by Worden on 23/11/2011 19:24:10:
JN

As Nev says saving weight at the tail end will eliminate any need for nose weight and also that the lipo can be moved to a more convenient position away from the motor. As said before, use the lightest balsa you can find for the tailplane, fin etc. but you can also help by cutting holes in the tail surfaces as I did on one of my Whizzzas. You can just about see in this photo the ones in the fin and rudder but I also did the tailplane and elevator. I also used a lightweight covering on these surfaces (Solarfilm Lite). This didn't seem to affect strength in this area and I can assure you it got well tested (300 was watts/lb)! In fact when it did meet it's end, the tail was the only part that remained mostly intact.

Good Luck!
Worden

Last week I ordered a wodge of standard Solarfilm to cover my Whizzza and was unaware of Solarfilm Lite. I have just looked at the Solarfilm website and I presume this is the same as Solarfilm Solite.