Best tranny for thermalling?

Tony Jones

well although i love JRs stuff, their bias towards heli stuff has left them short in this area over the previous years, graupner and multiplex are very dedicated in this area so as long as you can put up with the looks they are worth a gander at, the aurora from hitec also looked well specced in this area

Edited By Lee Smalley on 13/12/2011 16:08:01

Multiplex Cockpit Sx handles 4 servo wings with ease, 3 flight phases and setting it to mode 6 (spoilers on throttle stick) you can set the LH slider to give small flap movement for reflex and thermal settings while still having full flap on crow. Flight phases can be used to set other mixes, i.e. aileron to flap mix for improved roll control if needed. Plus the Tx is really comfortable to hold and light so ideal for those long flights, get the 2.4 and you could fit a vario to know when you've hit the thermals.

For a six servo machine, Aurora 9 doesn't require any use of it's 8 programmable mixes for any of the core functions - CROW, snapflaps, camber, reflex, full span ailerons, aileron differential, flap control etc etc - are already available functions pre-mixed within the software and accessed by dedicated buttons in the touchscreen menu.

Ro.

Posted by ken anderson. on 13/12/2011 18:59:41:
hello tony--try to lay your hands on a FUTABA FF9(35mhz) ... a TX that will do all you require .....a lot of people are going on to 2.4ghz and selling their 35 gear......this is the one to get....

ken anderson ne..1 FF9 dept....

Preferably a later version which has more glider functions.

Posted by RGPuk on 13/12/2011 18:27:25:
For a six servo machine, Aurora 9 doesn't require any use of it's 8 programmable mixes for any of the core functions - CROW, snapflaps, camber, reflex, full span ailerons, aileron differential, flap control etc etc - are already available functions pre-mixed within the software and accessed by dedicated buttons in the touchscreen menu.

Ro.

Same with the Sx, just enter glider mode and they are already set up, you just have to specify how much you want and add the elevator compensation etc. Tx is also fitted with sub C cells and Tx run time even on 35 mhz is very long (I charge mine up approx once a month)

The best one is one that you're comfortable with. Thermal flights can be long duration so confort and battery life are key. Also don't get one that's covered in a forest of switches as you won't want to take your eyes off your model to look down to ensure you've got your flap dial / switch in the right place.

Posted by Tony Jones on 13/12/2011 22:51:43:
Many thanks for all the helpful advice chaps. I will mull it all over and make a decision. I must say I am particularly attracted to the Multiplex SX. Seems to have all the necessary functions and the design looks a lot easier to keep clean than practicaly ever other.

Regard
Tony

While I don't have any brand loyalty (last 4 sets are Digifleet, Futaba FF6, Cockpit Sx and Spektrum Dx6i) the Sx is pretty good at gliders and while it doesn't have a colour, touch or particularly large screen it is above the neck strap so very easy to glance at. You can set the timers so they count up or down (and have both displayed) and activated by which ever control you want, being large digits they are very easy to see.

really go for one with flight modes, as this will make your life so much easier, find some lift and flick into thermal mode, lift dissapears flick into cruise, come time to land flick into land mode..etc...etc all camber settings /elevator comp and trims all on one little switch and then there is no need to look down for your flap dial switch or whatever !!

Posted by Lee Smalley on 14/12/2011 15:07:36:
really go for one with flight modes, as this will make your life so much easier, find some lift and flick into thermal mode, lift dissapears flick into cruise, come time to land flick into land mode..etc...etc all camber settings /elevator comp and trims all on one little switch and then there is no need to look down for your flap dial switch or whatever !!

Hi Lee

Yep, that's my priority. I've just realised that my FF9 has these facilities but I'm having trouble programming the 'butterfly' setup. The trouble with the FF9 manual is t hat once you have flaperons enabled all references to 'flaps' appear to refer to aileron droop. So the set gets its knickers in a knot if you ask them to deflect up and down at the same time.

Regards
Tony

Posted by Lee Smalley on 14/12/2011 15:07:36:

Hi Lee

Yep, that's my priority. I've just realised that my FF9 has these facilities but I'm having trouble programming the 'butterfly' setup. The trouble with the FF9 manual is t hat once you have flaperons enabled all references to 'flaps' appear to refer to aileron droop. So the set gets its knickers in a knot if you ask them to deflect up and down at the same time.

Regards
Tony

While I don't have any brand loyalty (last 4 sets are Digifleet, Futaba FF6, Cockpit Sx and Spektrum Dx6i) the Sx is pretty good at gliders and while it doesn't have a colour, touch or particularly large screen it is above the neck strap so very easy to glance at. You can set the timers so they count up or down (and have both displayed) and activated by which ever control you want, being large digits they are very easy to see.

Having the screen at the top of the set seems so obvious...

Best wishes
Tony