Best 2.4 Futaba Rx ?

richard cohen

Well i have bitten the bullet and decided to start converting the fleet over to 2.4.
I have bought a TM8 module for my ZAP9. As i now save some pennies ( or wait for santa ) i am trying to decide on the best Futaba Rx to use. They do seem to pick numbers and letters out of a bag ?) I think the 617FS might suit the bill for cost / functionality. I currently only need 6 channels and fly models up to about 7kg but with at least 6 regularly flown models cost is a big issue. Any thoughts out there from 2.4 users on best Rx and best retailer ?
regards
Richard

Advert

If you only want 6ch get the FrSky unit TFR6 at less than half the price of the Futaba 617FS. If you want more, ie 8ch, get this TFR8 or this TFR8S . You can link two TFRBS units or one TFR8S unit and one TFR8 unit and get 14ch. If you want less, ie 4ch, get this TFR4. Manufacturers site HERE.
They've got a good rep. and you can set failsafe for all channels on the Rx. Have a read of the specs and buyer feed back. Plus you will save yourself lots of cash.
HTH

On the otherhand - if you want a real Futaba Rx - then the 617FS is a good choice for you. I have a number of them and would consider them to be my "standard" rx. I did try one FrSky unit - never got it to work so never tried again! I know many folks use them sucessfully - but my experience is different.

If you do go for a 617FS shopping around wont get you much as the price is pretty much the same everywhere - it might vary by a couple of quid but not much. So I buy mine at the LMS (Webbies) because that way if I have any problems I can just take them back. Having siad that I have been using them for over two years, have about 8 of them and have never had the slightest problem either at installation or operation.

BEB

Cheers chaps
I have to say with technology thats completely new to me i think i would stick with genuine gear. Maybe once i have got my head round using 2.4 i might be in a position to consider non genuine but if BEB has got 8 units it says to me they are pretty reliable !
Price is a problem here because my LMS doesnt like selling Futaba ( apparently he can't buy Futaba kit for the price that Slough Model Centre sells them for  
Theres a £15 difference which is just too much to soak up to buy locally.
looks like 617FS is the way to go