NORTHERN FESTIVAL OF SPEED

Advert

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 30/09/2012 15:10:47:

I'd have to check, but I think you only have two weeks to compile and submit the dossiers following submission of the claim. It may not be listed in the rules but it was a council decision. Frenchy should know for sure. Might be a month.

Andy

From the day of the flight, the dossier must be with BMFA within 60 days

Guess I should have checked here as well before setting off. Got there for just before noon (bit of a delay with the m/way carnage) to find nothing doing.

BTW the club web site is still showing The Event Is On even as I type.

Ah well, fingers crossed for better weather conditions next time. ..roll on summer eh thumbs up

Posted by Robert Tomlin on 30/09/2012 15:14:22:
Posted by Slopetrashuk on 30/09/2012 15:10:47:

I'd have to check, but I think you only have two weeks to compile and submit the dossiers following submission of the claim. It may not be listed in the rules but it was a council decision. Frenchy should know for sure. Might be a month.

Andy

From the day of the flight, the dossier must be with BMFA within 60 days

I would ring Linda in the office tomorrow morning and double check on the 60 days, defiantely 7 days for record notification though.

Posted by Robert Tomlin on 30/09/2012 15:29:22:
Posted by Slopetrashuk on 30/09/2012 15:15:41:

Cool. A change since I was on council then. Make sure your judges all sign the dossiers.

Andy

Would you prefer they sign the actual dossier, or would a seperate sheet (with thier contact details, BMFA mem num, etc) be attached to it?

It can be a sheet appended to the dossier but it should have a statement on it to the effect that they witnessed the flight. Use their BMFA numbers too if they have one. The timekeepers themselves should sign the record claim form itself.

Andy

just my own opinion Alan, you can't really defend something when a statement has been made

"come hell or high water the even will be ran" and then they cancel is the morning of the event, sorry but i personally would be livid, thankfully i decided not to embarrass myself with my typhoon and not bother, but i know some other people went to some ridiculous efforts to make sure they can attend and they must be mightily peeved, i also understand people have other priorities and that can get in the way, but again my own opinion, is that once you commit to it, you should see it through (barring any emergency) either that or do not commit to it in the first place. but that is just my opinion, and my way of doing it!!

Unlucky Rob T i admire your enthusiasm mate!!

This will hopefully (thankfully) be my last word on the event... firstly if there is fault to be found can you aim it at myself please and not other club members... even if they do seem to be the people to aim any criticism at. I'm the clubs event chairman so the buck stops with me, and it was myself who made the judgement call not to run the event on the Sunday. I agree we should not have made the statement that it'll go ahead no matter what the weather throws at us, and with hind-sight we could have gotten a mornings worth of flight time on the Sunday but we can only go off the weather data presented to us on the Saturday... which was showing it'll be monsoon conditions. The speed course takes some time to set-up and remove and to spend a few hours in the wet packing it all away with minimal help (see above postings), was going to be too much. We've had a mountain of feedback about our efforts and we'll take it all onboard and make changes for any future event, if there is to be one. At the present i'm of the opinion to wash my hands of another similar event until some assurances can be made by the clubs membership to assist. That said, amongst the criticism we've had quite a bit of praise and could I just add to it with my thanks to the people who were selfless with their time and efforts to at least make a go of the event.

Edited By Robert Tomlin on 30/09/2012 20:51:41

Edited By Robert Tomlin on 30/09/2012 20:52:59

dont let them get you down Rob, this is the only club in the area that spreads their welcome to other clubs to come and fly at their site more than once a year, and you have sorted some GREAT events, if others are full of critic, then let THEM do something in their club, you made the call, it was the right call, you should be holding your head up high, i am one of yur club mates, and feel proud to tell others what you have tried to do, after the last 2 atempts, it would have been dead easy to just forget it, but you tenaciously battled on, i personally think you deserve a slap on the back, and three cheers, heres to the next time,beer

I took an interest in speed flying last year and it was always my intention to attempt to break Andy’s long standing record. I am fortunate enough to be able to fly from an active airfield that offers plenty of space and a choice of a tarmac or grass take-off and landing area and it was here that I intended to make my attempt on the record.

Imagine my reaction when I learned of a club that was going to hold a speed event, this was heaven sent as I no longer had to try and cajole my fellow club members into helping me (not an easy task as Rob will testify) nor did I have to buy any course equipment or calibrate stopwatches etc etc. All I had to do was turn up!

Understanding the limitations involved with manual timing gave this event a bit of a twist in so far as it was not just about maximum speed, it was about how close one could get to the 300kph limit. To stay within this maximum speed I had to detune my model in terms of cell count and although I achieved 165mph it would have been great to be able to fight it out with others by pushing towards that limit together but unfortunately the good old blighty weather ruled the roost, as it has done all year, and caused the Sunday to be cancelled.

I absolutely enjoy visiting other clubs and applaud any club that has the get up and go to organise any sort of event, let alone one that allows others to come and visit.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the BMMFC Committee and membership for the warm welcome and all the effort that they so obviously put in to organising the event and if there is to be another similar event next year I will be the first with my name on the entry list.

Stu

• 4 months later...

Right then.. here we go again. A couple of RCM&E issues ago there was a short article about last years Speed Event, and with the above comments in this thread you'll understand why the club is reluctant to stage another this year. We are going to make it bi-yearly though, which means 2014 will see its return. We would like to run a totally automated timing system but we are desperate for assistance in sourcing the equipment. Having this auto system would enable this country to match what the only other event if this type can do.. in Germany, and validate speeds above our current limit of 300kph. So, we still have time to get things in place, but we need help. Please get in touch and let's make this happen !