NORTHERN FESTIVAL OF SPEED

Hey everyone. Bury Metro MFC (in Manchester), will be holding a Speed Event to break a few current U.K. records. In due time I will be posting more info and the regulations about the day on the clubs website (www.bmmfc.com), but until then I can tell you all it's an open event to all comers so long as their models conform to club regs and the pilots have the minimum of an 'A' cert, and the BMFA Records Officer will be in-attendance to ratify any records attained. If people need to know more info in the meanwhile please email me direct and i'll try to answer.

Advert

Clubs rules forbid anything over 50cc and also no turbines will be allowed to take part. Spicifically we're going for the IC and electric straight-line speed records for helicopters and planes, but of people want to know more prior to the full details going on the clubs website, feel free to hassle me on this forum or email me direct.

Full details of all the current GB records can be found on the BMFA website, but if memory serves me right... all the records are quite low apart from the electric helicopter which there isn't a record! So, what ever happens on the day we can be sure that this record will broken!! I know the current record for IC planes is held with a Windsock Models Mini Delta 2000 and I've heard a few people on other forums mention they will be using TDR helicopters which can go about 100+ mph

OK, just a little information for people to help with their practising prior to the Festival...

The course will be 200 meters long, of which 100 meters more will be added at each end as a run-in and run-out section. The 200 meters actual course will be the timed section and contestants have to be mindful of a min and max height for the whole 200 meters (plus 100 meters entry) their aircraft travel at.. a max of 35 meters and a min of 5 meters. Time-keeping and height measurement will be made by an observer stationed at each end of the 200 meter course, relaying back to a central position to the BMFA Records Officer. Each aircraft must make 2 passes along the course (one in each direction) within a maximum turn-around time. No landing will be permitted until the end of the second pass and all aircraft must be able to have their motors/engines 'cut' remotely.

I would suggest people take the time to look over the BMFA Contest Rules section 2a, for a full description of what is required by the contestents and of the aircraft types and weights allowed.

If we get aircraft that go faster than 300 kph (186 mph) then the record set will not stand as an official record because of the contrants of our timing system.

• 4 weeks later...
OKies.. slightly more info;
We're going to attempt to get an automated timing system, so all speeds attained on the day will count. At the moment we're putting together the manual system but this can not be used for speeds above 300kph. We're certain that this will suffice for all aircraft except the i.c. fixed-wing, but if our 'contacts' come-up trumps we're hoping to have a laser-light-curtain also... this will not only record the ground speed of all aircraft but double-up to measure the height they fly at also, (remember there is a min and max height allowed).

Andy's record is indeed as you say 183mph, but the un-official record is 234mph I think, again by Andy. It doesn't count as an official record because of the limitations of the timing system used. We are hoping to make all attempts to be official if we can source the correct timing equipment, but if not then we'll be using similar timing that was used for the original low speed records.

ah yes i remember now he said he had to throttle back and slow right down for the timing system, he thinks there was more in the aircraft as well but did not see the point of pushing it if it could be verified, not sure if he would be interested if the limitations was the timing system again... but i will ask !!

Hi again Robert. I just had a quick skim through the posts here and have the following points to raise.
First off, IC engine size cannot exceed 10cc. No class exists for turbines. The electric recors are all breakable with the existing timing gear (including my fastest electric record - Which I might come and have a go at.)
Secondly the hardest part flying the straight line speed course is keeping within the height for the 300m run. (there is no 100m run out required). The height varies with distance from the observers. In essence the run MUST be over a predetermined point to guarantee the observed height through the course is within the rules.

Thirdly, I do not believe that the course can be completed accurately and within the rules without considerable practice and 'live' feedback from the observers made in real time. It is nigh on impossible to just launch your fast model, fly the course in both directions and stay within the required criteria. I suspect you will struggle to get compliant valid flights in without extensive practice.

Both Dave Whitneys (heli speed record) and my record dossiers are available from BMFA HQ.
Any and every record claim needs to be supported with at least the same level of information and detail. This includes calibration certs for equipment used and witness statements which need to be completed on the day..

For clarification my IC record is 183.711mph. The fastest pass was a downwind pass recorded at 234mph. The highest average in both directions during one flight was around 210mph. We had to slow down to set the record.

Again - I'm available to chat it over.
Come for a brew in the Skunkworks.

Andy Ellison

I agree it's going to be a challenge for aircraft to stay within the height restrictions, but I would suggest entrants strongly consider practising on thier own flying strips prior to the event, although there will be some time put aside to practise on the day also. If we are to use the manual timing system then all observers will have radios to report back to the central timing station on the aircrafts flight path, there will also be markers along the flight path to aid pilots. Of course if the laser-curtain system becomes available then this will also record heights in real time. Many thanks again Andy for the 'heads-up' and I'll certainly be in touch soon, but I'm waiting 'till after a meeting with BMFA-NW and feedback from the various universities who are aiding us.

One thing to ensure Robert while you are exploring new timing options is that whatever you chose it must have the ability to report the time across the course as it happens. i.e. it must be able to tell you the time (not necessarily the speed) as the model leaves the measured part of the course. Speed can be calculated afterwards.
In the aftermath of my records as people came forwards to try to break them, various ideas were proposed for alternate timing equipment that relied on things like video and lighting systems and then calculating the time of transition after the event by means of counting the frames passed at a known frame rate. Of course in this scenario it is the speed of the video that would be measured and not the model aircraft, so the case for its use falls down.

Watching carefully.

Andy
(Getting his fast models ready.....)

Edited By Slopetrashuk on 17/01/2012 15:29:45

The laser-curtain will do what the manual system does, we hope! It's our intention to have a set of transmitters and receivers either end of the 200m course and the time taken for an aircraft to pass from one to the other is then used calculate the ground speed (not 'air speed' as that is different). Once it is available for our use we will get the device ratified and proceed to testing. It is then the clubs intention to make the system available to other clubs, but this is still to be sorted with 'the powers at be'!
I must remind everyone that we are still away from the above system, but hopeful to have it ready in time for the event. The manual timing system will either be used as back-up or will be the only system on the day... we shall see.
And also... please please all read the 'Contest Rules' on the BMFA website, that pertain to this type of event. Better knowing what the limitations of airframes and engines before you make the trip to sunny Manchester, than being disappointed and not permitted to fly!