NORTHERN FESTIVAL OF SPEED

It's easier to tell people we're next/in Manchester than say Bury... or they might turn up down at Bury St. Edmunds club, again!

Oh and the Rossi... got an engineer in the States who's tweeking it to rev at 22k !!

Advert

That Jett set up is old hat now mate. Sat in a dusty corner of the Fishers model graveyard! Alans on the money. The last thing I ran speed with was the Rossi 0.53 DF on 10" of pitch and 40% nitro. Many saw it hit the floor at Weston in around 1999 doing about 275mph!
Its in a 'proper' airframe now. Fully moulded F3D pylon racer.
Course there's always the Opus!

Andy

I have a Rossi 40 pylon here I might part with - Pipe included. Bit old but good for 23K out of the box on straight fuel! Pipe is set for 7x7 carbon but pitch at 7" is great for racing but too shallow for serious speed unless you're a first timer.
You need something that will hardly launch if you want to thrash the Metkemeyer's on the straight line speed course.

Andy

Well, looks like last year was quite a year for RC speed records.

Check the FAI Records Page here.

F3 Open Speed: 145 - Aeroplane - Piston Motor 405.30 km/h 2011-09-17 Dag Cammann-Walczak (GER) dossier under review 16350

and

F5 Open Speed: 175 - Aeroplane - Electrical Motor Rechargeable Sources 439.14 km/h 2011-09-17 David Dzida (GER) dossier under review 16347

• 4 weeks later...

Okies people, a little more info on the event...

We've decided to charge an admission to flyers; if you're wanting to know how fast your model will fly but you are not a contender for any records there will be £5 entrance fee. If you are a contender then we ask £20 entrance fee. We will spilt the day into two sessions, each session will have time put aside for practice runs for both helis and planes. All serious contenders will take presidance over other flyers. We will award a certificate to every flyer with the speed attained after each session.

More to follow.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Robert Tomlin on 22/12/2011 08:57:33:
Clubs rules forbid anything over 50cc and also no turbines will be allowed to take part. Spicifically we're going for the IC and electric straight-line speed records for helicopters and planes, but of people want to know more prior to the full details going on the clubs website, feel free to hassle me on this forum or email me direct.

Rob - Had an opportunity to chat with your Secretary today at the Northern model engineering exhibition where our club is also displaying.

Your club rules do not permit any model over 82dB(A) at 7m to be flown.

Given that the event is aimed at breaking speed records for IC, electric for helis and planes I'm wondering if the noise rules will be waivered for this event?

I do not see it is possible to break the existing records with powered models under the 82dB(A) limit.

F3D pylon for instance are noise restricted but to 96dB(A). These models are good for around 190mph with engines turning at 30Krpm+. F5D electric pylon models objectively louder with prop rotational speeds of 43Krpm+ and good for perhaps 200mph. Speed models will run increased pitch but still need to turn at well over 20Krpm+ to break records.

Helicopters of course add another complication. IC or electric powered it is not possible to perform the reccommended DoE noise test with a helicopter.

Can you please clarify if models over 82dB(A) will be allowed to enter?

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

OKies everyone,

Very soon details will be on line at the clubs website (www.bmmfc.com), but if anyone requires info sooner or needs anything clarifying then email me direct... you can find my link again on the clubs website.

We have NOT been able to get an automated timing system in place for this years event, but we will of course do our upmost to have one for next years. This means that any aircraft that goes above 300kph will not have a ratified GB record... but we can still measure the speed and present everyone with a certificate regardless.

The event proper is on Sunday 22nd April, but the Saturday will be a available for practise.

We ARE very confidant that both helicopter records will be broken and the 'electric plane' record could easily be set at the event also.... someone will be in the record books at the end of the day!

I would ask people who are going to enter the event, either as a competitor or a funfly attempt, to email myself or the clubs secretary soon as possible and book a place.... just in case we are over-run with people!