NORTHERN FESTIVAL OF SPEED

We had to call it no later than Thursday, to give people enough notice to make other arrangements, and with the Met Office forecast now showing a 60% chance of heavy rain from 10am until 3pm on the Sunday... we think it's for the best. And as you say Andy... gives you a chance to have something to fly! Once i've checked with the clubs committee and the land-owner we'll post new dates... personally I favour the August Bank Holiday, but we'll see.

Advert

Yeah Alan, again forgot about that but was reminded by others. I think the Woodford event will be stunning and i'm defo going to be there to help. I've had a few people mention the Jubilee holiday and does sound the ideal date, but i've to run it past the farmer first to double check the heli field will be available for carparking first. It as been muted that the new date for the 'scale weekender' (now in June, see the events calendar on this site) could run along side the 'Festival of Speed'... what's ya thoughts?

Rob, Dropped in at your field today on my way back from Tony Fu's place. Nobody there at around 4:30 but curiosity got the better of me.

Small observation. Not much length to your strip for landing fragile moulded speed models. Any plans to mow it longer if the outfield grass gets up a bit later in the year?

Conventional configuration speed models (i.e. not deltas) tend to glide at around 60mph+ and need a country mile to slow down on finals. Hitting your short grass without rolling off the end into the long stuff will be challenging. Doubly so in a cross wind.

Andy

Hey Andy,

We aren't permitted to extend the fixed-wing landing strip much beyond what it is already, the land-owner uses the rest of the field for his crops. I know it's a tad short compared to other strips, but that's why we will be using the Saturday as a practice day. Also, when the event is rescheduled for later in the year I'll be asking the land-owner when his crops will be cut and taken away... that would mean you could get a full 400 metres to get your planes down, although only a small part of that would be the manicured lawn we use already.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, still not finalised a new date... but I can say that it'll either be over the last 2 weeks in August or the last 2 weeks in September. I'm awaiting the 'nod' from our landowner as to when will be best for him... has the car-parking 'field' needs to have had its crops harvested first. The 'rough' dates above are also to fit-in with some pilots who have gone to great expanse to compete, and these are the only weeks they are available during the summer. Hopefully, by the end of this weekends Scale Event we will have a new date.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all... sorry it's been awhiles coming back with a new date for the Speed Event, but here's some new info...
The new dates are ... the weekend of 29th & 30th September 2012. The Saturday will be an open practice day for anyone who wants to, and we'll be allowing limited camping on the Saturday night. The 'Festival of Speed' proper is on the Sunday and we're reducing the entrance fees... £5 for have-a-go fun flyers, and £10 to the serious contenders. Keep an eye on the clubs website for updates and fingers crossed we'll at last get a dry day for it!
speed poster v2.jpg

• 2 months later...