new member with super cub rc plane

Alan Hargreaves

Hello im alan.

I have had a super cub electric plane bought for christmas off my other half and daughter, ive wanted a rc plane for many years but had never got round to it so now i have one i would like to use it as much as possible.

I have finished building it up and gave it a little test flight today which didnt go very well so i would apperciate it very much if any one has any tips or info on first time flying also is there any local meets around barnsley area as i would like to attend them.

Thank you

Alan

Edited By Alan Hargreaves on 27/12/2011 23:45:29

Advert

Its a lot harder than it looks isn't it!

Still, never mind, we've all been there and we've all learnt - some better than others

Neil's advice is spot on. Get yourself to your local club. They will teach you to fly safely, and they'll fix you up with some insurance. OK, I know, you're thinking "Insurance? Surely that's overkill?" No, it isn't believe me! A model plane out of control can do a lot of very expensive damage - even a little one. In fact the biggest claim ever made on the BMFA's insurance I understand was from a flyer flying a small indoor type model. And if I remember correctly that claim ran to several million pounds! (Basically the model seriously injuried a child - blinding her I think).

Now I don't what to frighten you, or give you the impression that flying model aeroplanes is a dangerous activity - it isn't if you are properly taught. But accidents do happen - hopefully very much more rarely to skilled pilots - but mechanical/electrical failure is always a possibility even for the best of us.

It is possible to teach yourself to fly a model aeroplane - its also possible to teach yourself free-fall parachuting - but it isn't recommended! So take a look here and find yourself a good club. You'll get the joining fee back in saved model damage in a couple of months and the tuition is free! The general banter and friends you'll make with a common interest is a bonus

For any other advice - please feel free to ask on here - and welcome to the best hobby in the world! Once you can fly that model you will never look back - its the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

BEB

Welcome.

Look for RC Planemaster on ebay, it is a good (not the best maybe) simulator for the PC, available for less than £20 with a TX to plug into the PC.

It will help with the basics while you look for a club or help.

Just beware, the hobby is addictive, so you need to establish a budget for future planes/parts

Hi Alan,
Welcome to one of the most exhilarating and frustrating hobbies!
I'm delighted to say that I've introduced many people to this hobby over the past couple of years even though I don't have masses of time myself.
The one consistent piece of advice I'd give along with all the other good stuff above is get yourself a really slow and crash-friendly plane to begin with. I finally learnt to fly with a Multiplex Easystar. Stuff a big liPo into it (2,700mAh or similar ) and it'll give you half an hour or more at a time in the air. There's no substitute for stick-time if you want to get confident flying.
It'll take a good many duff landings and is easily fixed with super-glue (cyano).
A good simulator like Phoenix is also useful as you can crash without fear.
The top tip is don't try to fly anything fast, fragile or with undercarriage until you've gained some experience or confidence - unless you have a lot of money that is.
Most of all, have lots of fun!
T